Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Licence Fee - BBC could do more to push it's value (Read 2557 times)
Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Licence Fee - BBC could do more to push it's value
Feb 3rd, 2020, 5:31pm

The BBC website has a story re the £3 increase as agreed with the government.  (Cost of inflation till 2022.)  That's £3 a YEAR!  What product has increased less than that?  That's just under 2%!

And out come the usual redtop opinions made by the ill-informed.  Get rid of it, made it voluntary, change it to a subscription.  Pay Lineker less......

It annoys me that the BBC seems to do nothing to push how it's much better value for money than anything else.

Commercial TV costs us nothing bleat the critics. Huh? Do they never buy anything advertised? Or shop in any stores that advertise? And for every £1 (out of our pockets) commercial TV gets in advertising fees it's cost us a lot more in the making of the advert, agency fees, etc!

And in terms of stars fees, so what?  Noticed the big exodus to the commercial companies by some of our big names?  Obviously to get more.

Weren't there studies done ages back that reckoned if the BBC were to take adverts it would result in less income to the commercials and even decimate the local newspapers?

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

Delboy
YaBB Newbies

Re: Licence Fee - BBC could do more to push it's value
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2020, 10:39am

I must admit I've never quite understood why Gary gets paid so much.
Most people tune in to watch the football, not the presenter, so £1.75m does seem excessive being about 3-4x what other pundits earn.
On top of that he has his own production company, a £1m income from Walkers crisps & an undisclosed salary from BT sport.
Makes me wonder how many hours he actually puts in at the Beeb for the £1.75m

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2020, 5:42pm

With reference to the comment above re the fantastic value of the Licence fee-I would add 4 topping marketing reasons for paying mine!
1) With Iplayer and freeviewtv alone I am my own tv commissioning editor, able to record and keep films/drama/archive classic tv and any broadcast movies. No need for Netflix or Amazon
2) I can judiciously select BBC Sounds-music mixes and countless serious and pop music broadcasts-many presenter free . No need for Spotify or Apple Music
3) Podcasts?- Theres more record and keep speech on BBC Sounds than any any other podcast app...search and ye will find!
4) Newspapers?-Daily Telegraph paper is now £2.50 a day-£phew!....Try the digital BBC News app, getting better every day, you'll never need buy a paper again.

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Delboy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2020, 1:32am

If the Govt. thinks its wrong to criminalise not paying the TV license then surely it should apply to other so called taxes.
For starters how about council tax, I am single, don't have a car or any dependents & don't claim any benefits.
So why should 90% of my council tax payments go towards services that I don't use.
Its called a level playing field, either we all pay our way or we don't, Boris can't pick & choose!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print