Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some facts and figures (Read 4748 times)
JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Some facts and figures
Aug 14th, 2019, 11:22am

I see that today, the ONS have released their figures for the annual RPI and CPI rates.
They continue to confuse us (well, me at least!) with much 'splitting up' of the data ... so I shalln't attempt to dissect further.

The main movements for CPI in July 2019 are:
• The all items CPI is 107.9, unchanged from last month.
• The all items CPI annual rate is 2.1%, up from 2.0% in June.
• The annual rate for CPI excluding indirect taxes, CPIY, is 2.1%, up from 2.0% last month.
• The annual rate for CPI at constant tax rates, CPI-CT, is 2.0%, up from 1.9% last month.
• The CPI all goods index is 105.1, down from 105.5 in June.
• The CPI all goods index annual rate is 1.7%, up from 1.5% last month.
• The CPI all services index is 111.2, up from 110.6 in June.
• The CPI all services index annual rate is 2.5%, unchanged from last month.

As for RPI (the one we BBC Pensioners are concerned with!)

The main movements for RPI in July 2019 are:
• The all items RPI is 289.5, down from 289.6 in June.
• The all items RPI annual rate is 2.8%, down from 2.9% last month.
• The annual rate for RPIX, the all items RPI excluding mortgage interest payments (MIPs), is 2.7%, down from 2.8% last month.
• The all goods RPI is 216.8, down from 218.3 in June.
• The all goods RPI annual rate is 2.2%, up from 2.0% last month.
• The all services RPI is 401.3, up from 399.0 in June.
• The all services RPI annual rate is 3.5%, down from 4.0% last month.

Quite which of these RPI rates they'll be using for Pension 'increments' is anyone's guess - although I'm sure they'll choose to use the lowest!!

Deep joy to all.

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Re: Some facts and figures
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2019, 8:41am

Interesting-these figures were obviously not used when calculating the recent 20% rise for BBC staff?

Meanwhile the most that BBC Pensioners can hope for is 2.8% unless the index goes up big time in january?

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2019, 11:51am

Since it's beginning to look like some of the world's big economies may be about to go into recession, I wouldn't hold your breath for any improvement by January, especially since our new PM is about to go to the G7 to meet up with Donald Trump. [Just imagine what trouble those two might cook up together!]

It seems that the bad news coming from China, Germany, the UK and the US has adversely affected the stock markets, as trade between the two biggest economies (China and the US) has plunged, severely affecting those suppliers of US goods (ranging from medical equipment to soy-beans) which will ultimately threaten US jobs. So, although Chinese imports of US goods in July fell some 19% from a year earlier, its exports to the United States declined just 6.5%. I wonder if this is 'Trump economics' at work??? No wonder they seem very keen to get the UK to sign a trade deal.

Investment Managers BlackRock are clear about what they think is driving the troubles.
“The recent escalation in US-China trading tensions reinforces our view that geo-political friction - including the effects of Brexit - has now become a key driver of the global economy and markets” they said in a statement released on Monday.

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Delboy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2019, 11:31pm

Make that December (unless they've moved it without telling me)WG wrote on Aug 15th, 2019, 8:41am:
Interesting-these figures were obviously not used when calculating the recent 20% rise for BBC staff?

Meanwhile the most that BBC Pensioners can hope for is 2.8% unless the index goes up big time in january?

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #4 - Aug 16th, 2019, 9:13am

Agreed Delboy-the january publication reflects the december index. Thanks for the correction.....so lets have a massive pre-xmas leap in inflation then nil inflation from january onwards.   Embarrassed

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print