Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prospero is -your feedback is wanted (Read 4429 times)
WG

Hitchin
Prospero is -your feedback is wanted
Jun 8th, 2019, 9:43am

I see from the latest June edition of Prospero that feedback is wanted (page 2).
Readers are encouraged to write to prospero@bbc.co.uk with suggestions.

Well--the first thing that comes to mind is to for all BBC Pensioners to have an e-mail telling them when the latest edition is available and encouraging them to access the On Line version. Very happy to read it On Line and do without the hard copy version?

Aside from the above-it's quite a fun read but a bit of an editorial dog's dinner isn't it, with heavily pruned Ariel articles, "crospero crossword" ,Mystery Sudoku(?) and photographic archive features with limited appeal (to me anyway).

What I do enjoy is the letters page, the obits and news about past colleagues.

Lets see what emerges from this Consultation Exercise?

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

John

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Prospero is -your feedback is wanted
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2019, 1:26pm

"Well--the first thing that comes to mind is to for all BBC Pensioners to have an e-mail telling them when the latest edition is available and encouraging them to access the On Line version. Very happy to read it On Line and do without the hard copy version?"

I must disagree with you about on-line reading. Not everyone has the means to read Prospero on-line or prefer to do so and besides that there are the secondary uses for Prospero that are not possible with the electronic version.

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2019, 4:26pm

I wouldn't want to push anyone who prefers reading Prospero in paper form into having to read it electronically/on line - that would be wrong.

However, anyone who so wishes should be able to opt for such a service if they're content to do so. After all, electrons are 'nearly free', whereas the envelope (now thankfully they've stopped using plastic wrapping!) and the paper itself are rather demanding of trees, besides much energy being needed to produce. It would also mean that they could make the electronic version 'longer' and not have to hold Obituaries over to the next edition!!

We might also then be able to scan through the old editions (even those writ before we retired!) to see who might have passed away without us being aware of the fact!! Facebook simply isn't that old!!

The only caveat I have about making Prospero available electronically is that it shouldn't go the way of Ariel - i.e. be only available in electronic form. [On occasion, it was nice to be able to keep a copy for the personal archive!!]

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2019, 7:39pm

The June issue of "Prospero" may be read here.

The index to back-issues available on-line may be seen here.

More about "Prospero"  here.

Just a reminder, the BBC Pensioners’ Association Website is here.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2019, 8:25pm

I just wish they wouldn't waste the whole of the front page on a photo!

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

Mikej

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2019, 9:14pm

I totally agree with Dickies comment about the front page of Prospero. A complete waste of a whole page that could have interesting and important articles on it - like pensions and finance update. I think it was the last edition that even had a quite adequate version of the front page repeated on an inside page.
Lets have more stories and unfortunately we need more space for obits etc.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print