Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chelsea flower show Tuesday (Read 5705 times)
CBlockley
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Chelsea flower show Tuesday
May 21st, 2019, 8:57pm

Did anyone else note the sound problems,  ie background louder than the main interviews!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Roundabout

Re: Chelsea flower show Tuesday
Reply #1 - May 24th, 2019, 8:41pm

Nothing unusual then!

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2019, 8:11pm

The luvvies would probably say it adds to the viewer experience making them feel they're there! Doh!

It seemed to be on some interviews only.  Yoff Director? One on Friday night's show had the interviewer and interviewees talking normally, even quietly.  If the background hubbub was that loud they'd be shouting at each other.

I was so incested I put in a complaint, and what a process that is!  Be interesting to see what excuse they use.

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

apcwmwl

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2019, 8:49am

I'm sure you didn't mean it but if you were "incested" Dickie, I think you should start worrying! Cheesy

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2019, 10:52am

Bit of a waste of time Dickie...remember the regular Beeb excuses..."no it isn't", "you have your tv mis-adjusted", "it's nothing to do with us they are contractors", "it's nothing to do with us it's the platform providers problem" etc etc etc..............

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Reply #5 - May 27th, 2019, 10:14am

apcwmwl wrote on May 26th, 2019, 8:49am:
I'm sure you didn't mean it but if you were "incested" Dickie, I think you should start worrying! Cheesy

I blame the keyboard..... !!

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Reply #6 - May 28th, 2019, 3:16pm

... carefully checking my spelling  Smiley ...

I got a reply to my complaint, enough to make Sound Engineers spit!

Here it is:

" Reference CAS-5460733-DT8P4H

Thanks for getting in touch about the RHS Chelsea Flower Show.

I understand you feel the background sound was loud and intrusive.

We’re naturally very sorry and disappointed when we hear that members of our audience do not like some of our programmes or services. We try very hard to produce an incredibly wide and diverse range of high quality programmes and services which we hope will appeal to our audiences.

People have differing opinions on acceptable levels of sound effects and music. Music is added to programmes for many reasons and can be vital to illustrating or highlighting moods and atmosphere or conveying emotion. Programmes do sound different in the editing suite to what the audience views at home and levels can sound different from programme to programme which is why we make sure that our programmes are checked rigorously in an environment other than the edit suite in order to standardise sound levels as much as possible.

Audio complaints are an issue common to the broadcasting industry as a whole, and it is something that the BBC takes very seriously, we can therefore only express regret for any occasions when you've felt we should have done things differently.

We appreciate your feedback on this matter and please be assured that your comments have been passed on to the programme team and senior management."

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #7 - May 28th, 2019, 7:07pm

Astounding Dickie. What gives cause for even more technical spitting is the bald statement that the sound DOES sound different in the editing than on the air!! Surely that's what the editing process is meant to correct! Unbelievable!

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Reply #8 - May 29th, 2019, 8:08am

Even more so that the BBC's own Code of Practice for sound is that the edited programme should be viewed in a domestic setup with domestic equipment and by someone not involved in the edit.

Yeah, right, that always happens!

But, on twitter today, maybe hope is on the horizon. The EBU apparently carried out a parallel broadcast over its closed network of a new sound mix during the Eurovision Song Contest. Press Release here.
Called Next Generation Audio – NGA.

Quote:
"Those using NGA will be able to adjust the relative volumes of the performers, commentary and background ambience, or to switch between multiple different languages. "

Roll it on!

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print