Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
IDIOTIC VIDEO EDITING! (Read 3399 times)
Roundabout

IDIOTIC VIDEO EDITING!
Nov 17th, 2018, 12:29pm

Did anyone else see the BBC 1 progamme Make Me A Dealer on Friday afternoon  totally spoiled by the use of artificially created picture and sound disturbance as a means of changing from one part of the programme to another. As a  change of scene was made there was artificial break-up on the picture and a crackling sound on the audio. I have not spent hundreds of pounds on a new HD receiver to see this sort of disturbance during a programme when there are hundreds of smooth and creative innovative transition possibilities on any video editing progam which even I can use on my computer when editing videos! As one of hundreds of engineers over the ages we spent a lot of time trying to prevent picture bounces on TV. This may be a 'clever' and unusual effect but it is silly and demonstrates that the BBC is not taking technical issues in programme-making seriously. Another stupid idea on many shows is the use of out of focus shots with only a nominal flower or something in one corner. what is creative editing coming to?

IP Logged

John

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: IDIOTIC VIDEO EDITING!
Reply #1 - Nov 17th, 2018, 4:14pm

I think this only to be expected these days since the BBC is now run by arty-farty people!

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Reply #2 - Nov 17th, 2018, 7:42pm

The answer is in two of the words you used, Roundabout! Engineer and Technical.  Implied in what John said, there are precious few Engineers around nowadays in programme making.  And, as for attention to Technical detail.....  that went out the window years ago.

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

double-vision

I Love YaBB 2!
Scotland
Reply #3 - Nov 19th, 2018, 1:03pm

Just the latest fad I suppose. When I think of the trouble we use to go to in order to make a decent cut edit even for the likes of a footie match. Paint on a solution to the tape with a cotton bud, not too much. Just enough to show up the edit pulses under the microscope. Position them, apply the jointing tape. "iron" it down. trim the edges, wipe the rear of the tape with the hairs on the back of one's hand, bung it carefully back in the machine, play it, not too many drop-outs with a bit of luck and definitely no frame bumps if you'd got it right! On to the next, only 20 minutes to go and 2 more goals to get in! Oh wonderful days!
Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print