Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC SOUNDS takes over from RADIO (Read 11207 times)
WG

Hitchin
BBC SOUNDS takes over from RADIO
Oct 17th, 2018, 3:46pm

Just noticed that RADIO has disappeared as an option on the standard BBC web pages -being replaced by SOUNDS.
Of course--this is the way of the world these days. Apparently "the young" don't listen to the radio "anymore".
The launch earlier this year of the BBC Sounds App remains a work in progress(certainly for IOS), but a quick click and play on SOUNDS on the BBC web pages is interesting and worth a surf!
I just hope the smart phone apps get updated quickly-or rather--they better -or else!

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Re: BBC SOUNDS takes over from RADIO
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2018, 10:31am

Just goes to prove the idiots ARE running the asylum!
On Radio 2's Good Morning Sunday a video clip of one of it's presenters falling in the water was mentioned.  Find it I cannot.  
Gone are the Radio Listings, had to use the Radio Times website to find the name of the programme and then the bbc website search box to find the programme's webpage.

Reith would turn in his grave to see the depths the BBC has gone to join the yoof movement!

Sounds?  It's RADIO.  It's what the BBC was formed for!

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

Delboy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - Nov 5th, 2018, 12:00am

TV & Radio listing are still there, just well hidden.
Top right (next to search) click on More.
The last 2 items in the list are TV & Radio.
Click on Radio & the schedules link is top right.

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2018, 10:01pm

So they are.  Well hidden in tiny font!

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Nov 10th, 2018, 10:26am

There is a survey being carried out.

"BBC Sounds- tell us what you think"

It is 
here.

H/T WDR

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2019, 9:50am

Vanessa Thorpe in "The Observer" adds to the discussion here.

"Listeners and stars up in arms as BBC Sounds app backfires"

The Administrator.

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #6 - Jan 21st, 2019, 9:12am

If I may add to my previous posts. This app IS now slowly getting better. However-If they had asked me how i would have gone about giving IplayerRadio a revamp,I would have said
!)Yes-do change the name if you like --so as to reflect the trend for appealing to younger audiences.
2)Keep all the bits from Iplayer radio that currently exist. They work a treat and there is no need to fix anything that's already perfectly clear, operable and accessible.
3)Yes--add a section on Podcasts-start with an alphabetical title index, an  alphabetical contributors index and keep to no more than four genres, speech music, sport, drama and news.
4) Then--if you really want to be creative--create a fourth section on readily available archive radio.
5) and... if you still have time and money--think about audio versions of  TV shows that work "with your eyes shut"

Easy?

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Amigo

Reply #7 - Jan 21st, 2019, 9:24am

Excellent suggestions WG.

Agreed.

iPlayer Radio was ideal.
It wasn't "broke".

IP Logged

Mike Carter
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - Jan 22nd, 2019, 8:56pm

I wonder where this will end up? If the word 'Radio' is to be eliminated will the networks end up as Sounds 1, Sounds 2 etc? Programme listings all in The Sounds Times of course!

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #9 - Jan 25th, 2019, 9:30am

Indeed-perhaps Broadasting House will become Podcasting House.....BH and PH sound alike don't they!?

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

apcwmwl

Reply #10 - Jan 25th, 2019, 5:41pm

As any former staff member who has had the waste of time that is "the tour" will tell you, BH has now become denuded of any atmosphere whatsoever - do we all have to breathe deeply to remember that feeling of somewhere special where artistry was created!
So BH could easily become "Podcasting House" or perhaps at very worst "SoundHouse" Tongue: Just think of the elision!!!! Undecided

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2019, 6:23pm

Take a look at this...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-sounds-radio-rivals-snub-offer-to-join-ap...

With the app still a "work in progress" a BBC attempt was made at a joint venture with Classic FM and other commercials. It did NOT go down well.

It all Sounds as though Anna Rampton from TV's W1A tried to make a strategic intervention?

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #12 - Apr 7th, 2019, 10:05am

BBC Sounds Help and Feedback.....

Here is the place to go for "Live Chat" from 1615 until 2400.

The guide to 'Live Chat' is here.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #13 - Apr 8th, 2019, 9:00am

An interesting and relevant article by India Knight ( especially para 6) on Radio 4 from yesterday's Sunday Times Magazine ------

Nothing gives me more happiness than poking about in the cold frame in the spring sunshine, obsessively checking on the progress of my seeds. I do this in the company of a portable radio that is tuned to Radio 4 — my idea of heaven; as for many people, Radio 4 is the soundtrack to my day. Well, mostly — I migrate to Radio 2, with its brilliant roster of women presenters, if the news is too grim, or if Woman’s Hour is, in its tin-eared and patronising way, trying to be relevant to the sort of young women who literally don’t know what Woman’s Hour is and will never listen to it.

So I was exceptionally irritated to read about cuts to the station, demoralised staff and the recent resignation of Gwyneth Williams, its long-standing controller. An article in The Times said that established shows have been “cut to the bone” and quoted one anonymous presenter as saying: “Radio 4 is in danger of being destroyed. The jewel in the crown is being shut down and asset-stripped like a Midlands car factory.”

Staff have recently been told to save money by interviewing authors without reading their books; there was also the suggestion that shows should rely more on promotional interviews with guests on publicity tours. When I tweeted my anger about this, a couple of presenters replied saying they’d not noticed any cuts to their shows (yet). But my private messages were a whole other story.

This is all happening because the station is chasing young people. Where to start with the stupidity of this? The minority of young people who like Radio 4 already listen to it. The young people who are future listeners will find their way to it eventually, because that’s how it works: you listen to what you find interesting, and that changes with age. It seems tragic to have to point this out. Also: what draws people in is the intelligent and eclectic nature of the programming. The broadcasts I was most resistant to in the past are now among my favourites: Melvyn Bragg discussing Gerard Manley Hopkins or papal infallibility live; or Jim Al-Khalili somehow making laser physics vaguely comprehensible. Radio 4 works because you discover things by happy accident. It’s where ideas and culture intersect. It is a massive educational resource. Seeking to change any of that is a pointless act of cultural vandalism.

And to what purpose? All any of this is doing — and everything I’m saying also applies to Radio 3 — is turning off the existing, older, enviably loyal (thus far) listeners. This is a catastrophic error, because those older listeners will now go off and listen to something else, such as audiobooks or podcasts. There will be no new younger listeners, because they are happily engaged elsewhere. The station will slowly die.

The pursuit of youth in this context is incredibly ill-judged. It reminds me of Tony Blair inviting the Gallagher brothers to No 10, like an excited old uncle. That was, perhaps not entirely coincidentally, during the period when James Purnell, currently the BBC’s director of radio, was a Downing Street adviser. Purnell has a pet project, under which everything must apparently be subsumed:the unusable and universally unloved Sounds app, created at vast expense to replace the popular and user-friendly iPlayer Radio app.There’s also the forthcoming streaming service from the BBC and ITV, supposedly to compete with Netflix and Amazon, just as Sounds is, hilariously, supposed to compete with Spotify et al. The service is called BritBox, the name already deeply nostalgic, with its sad, yearning echoes of Blair-era Cool Britannia.

The BBC denies any of this is happening. The other day, some BBC bloke was on Radio 4 explaining why it was important for the station to have a more youthful perspective. He was effectively saying that there shouldn’t be silos. Odd, then, that he did not talk about how Radio 1 Extra should be trying to attract septuagenarians.

Here’s a thought: maybe the BBC doesn’t have to be a behemoth serving every part of a huge market that’s also served by vast commercial enterprises. Maybe its current problems are a consequence of it fighting to stay vast. It doesn’t have to be vast — just good. As good as the current Radio 4 output, say.

India Knight

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print