Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
iPlayer Radio app going.... (Read 5911 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

iPlayer Radio app going....
Jun 26th, 2018, 8:58am

A new "BBC Sounds" app will replace the BBC iPlayer Radio app soon.

In order to integrate the plethora of Podcasts within a single  'app' a new one has been created.

In his BBC Blog, Dan Taylor-Watt explains what's happening and why.

The 'old' iPlayer app will run in parallel with the 'new' BBC Sounds' app for a short period.

Dan holds the job-title "Head iPlayer and BBC Sounds".

His blog is here.

"Tech Radar" describe the app, and give their opinion here.
"5 ways the BBC Sounds app will change how you listen to BBC podcasts and radio"

The Administrator.

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Re: iPlayer Radio app going....
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2018, 7:29am

Whats going on here?
This app is not ready for proper comparison to the excellent IplayerRadio.It has promise but it lacks schedule listings and quite a few functions which are paramount for radio catch up listening. Quite a lot of effort has gone into a W1A style design and as with all BBC apps far too much emphasis on algorithm recommendations and listening genres. Surely people who listen to the BBC know that R4 is "speech" R1 is "pop" etc? That's all folk want isn't it?

The IplayerRadio app is not broken so it doesn't need fixing.

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2018, 2:28pm

It is said that Radio 4's "Feedback" programme- to be transmitted on Friday 29th June at 1630 BST...- will feature the new 'app'....

"we'll hear what listeners think about the BBC's new app - BBC Sounds".

In his blog, Dan did write that this is the "first version" of the app, adding..

"This is very much a first release - we wanted to get it out as early as possible to start getting feedback to help develop the app. There’s a bunch of additional features we’re already busy working on (including downloads, to enable offline listening), and we’ll have lots more to add later in the year, but we’d love to hear how you’d like to see the app develop."

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Amigo

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2018, 2:35pm

I have added my comments to the blog, and many others feel the same way...

"What was wrong with the original iPlayer Radio App?.

By all means 'tweak' it a bit, so we can remove the material in which we have no interest and will never use- it gets in the way, and improve the podcast facility.. otherwise...

why repair something that wasn't broken?

So, add your comments to the blog!!

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2018, 5:42pm

" We wanted to get it out as soon as possible so as to get feedback".....whoops....Thameslink Rail did that with their new timetables and imploded !

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Delboy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2018, 12:19am

The BBC no longer have any regard for their licence players.
People who paid good money for their tech are regularly being cut-off as the BBC strives to be ultra-tech suppliers.
You now have to have the very latest TVs, radio, set-top boxes & tablets to get their services.
I can stream 4K onto my 2017 Sony TV from several sources, but can't stream the BBC world cup coverage in 4k because my TV is too old!
The latest people to have their apps withdrawn are Kindle readers. Usual excuse, the app is too new to work on old devices, I call it shoddy software design.

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2018, 8:22am

One final observation. The Iplayer Radio app is far too good to be put out to grass.
Inventing a new style grossly inferior application is a serious waste of Licence Payer's money .

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2018, 8:46am

The "Feedback" interview may be heard here.

Start 0850 end 1450.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print