Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HMRC wins case (Read 2175 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

HMRC wins case
Feb 15th, 2018, 5:59pm

HMRC has won a tax-case against ex-BBC Leeds presenter Christa Ackroyd.

It is likely that this may well affect other 'famous names'.

The Guardian has a report here, and this BBC report says that Ms Ackroyd might face a tax bill of £420,000.

"Ms Ackroyd said: "The contract issued by the BBC has now been deemed a contract of employment rather than freelance and is as such subject to different tax rules.
"That it has taken five years is an indication of the complexity of IR35 legislation regarding freelance broadcasters.
"As you can imagine I have suffered five horrendous years of innuendo and gossip suggesting I am a tax cheat. This judgement proves once and for all I am not.""

"'Common practice'
A BBC spokesman said paying Ms Ackroyd via CAM [CAM was Christa's personal management company] was "standard industry practice at the time" when she was taken on in 2001.
He added: "Until last year it was for individuals with service companies rather than those engaging them to determine their status for tax purposes.
"The use of personal service companies is entirely legitimate and common practice across the industry as it provides flexibility for both individuals and organisations.
"An independent review conducted in 2012 found that there was no evidence that the BBC had attempted to avoid income tax or NIC by contracting in this way.""

The Guardian says that HMRC is probably investingating about 100 more BBC presenters, and 'stars' from other broadcasters.  

The full judgement is here.

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2018, 10:50am by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print