Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TV Centre Re-opens (Read 4683 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

TV Centre Re-opens
Feb 10th, 2018, 9:41pm

Here is a brief glimpse inside the re-vamped TV Centre.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Delboy
YaBB Newbies

Re: TV Centre Re-opens
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2018, 1:21am

I feel sorry for the staff denied redundancy and forced to work at the 3 "temporary" studios at Elstree.
Their return to TVC was originally delayed for almost 2 years, but now I hear that it may be longer.
Apparently ITV are doing a major refurbishment, making staff redundant & booking 2 of the 3 new studios at TVC for up to 2 years.
As a result the "temp" studios at Elstree are to be kept open, but the real kicker is that apparently the BBC is recruiting ITV staff facing redundancy to work on the ITV shows at TVC.

IP Logged

simonm
YaBB Newbies

Bristol
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2018, 5:28pm

Suggesting, as the puff piece does on the BBC web site, that "some of the old magic is to return..." is just ridiculous. Obviously it's a shadow of what it once was. There's an aerial shot early on in the clip that really makes it obvious how much has been lost.

IP Logged

engineer
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2018, 7:44pm

"...some of the old magic..." - yes, 3/8 of it, presumably.

ITV have booked, as I understand it, both large studios (TC1 and TC3) with an option on the small one (TC2) for the foreseeable future, to cover for the loss of the ex-LWT studios on the South Bank.

So we have the situation where the BBC is hiring capacity at Elstree Film to make programmes for BBC transmission, whilst at the same time hiring out BBC studios at TC to ITV to make programmes for ITV transmission.  I'm sure some beancounter can be found under a rock somewhere who will be able to prove incontrovertably that this is a sensible arrangement, but it looks like lunacy to me.

IP Logged

Delboy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Apr 17th, 2018, 8:31pm

Apparently they have an option for 'up to 5 years' at TVC.
However, TVC (& Elstree) will probably be busy with ex-South Bank productions long after that.
The new smaller South Bank studio complex will only have room for the daytime TV shows currently at TVC.
No 'entertainment' studio capacity will be provided, so these programmes now need permanent new homes.
« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2018, 9:20am by Delboy »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print