Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prospero (Read 4457 times)
Mikej

Prospero
Aug 2nd, 2017, 3:23pm

A surprise dropped through my door this morning!
It was the "New Look Prospero" - that sort of language is always a bad sign.
Previously it was entitled "The newspaper for BBC pensioners" but now it is called "The newspaper for retired BBC Pension Scheme members"
So presumably those staff who were never actual BBC scheme members but sorted themselves out, will not see it any more.
Not that there is that much in it but the Obits are always very sad.

Mike

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Re: Prospero
Reply #1 - Aug 3rd, 2017, 9:28am

The new design is fine if you like that sort of thing. What seriously needs revamping is the editorial style.
Personally I would like to see a newsletter approach , more of a where are they now slant and fewer lifestyle How to live/survive as a pensioner articles or aged Ariel snippets.Yes-the obits are always readable( but sad), and I would also like to see much more space given to letters of any kind from past colleagues/ friends.
In the long term, since many more pensioners become computer literate
(note the recent on line log on initiative for pensions) -I predict Prospero will itself go on line and cease the print edition--where all the above can easily be included with a properly edited interactive forum-not unlike this one.
Surely this would be £cheaper too? Cheesy

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Burstner55
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2017, 11:35am

The further Old Father Time distances me from my working life at The Beeb the further I feel from it spatially, a feeling enhanced by the nature of the changes taking place every day at the Corporation and especially by the changes in its output. The all-new Prospero is just another sign of the phenomenon and as WG suggests its life looks to be limited anyway. Best perhaps if we just do our best to forget we were ever involved? Many of us already feel that "we had the best years" so maybe we should keep quiet about that for fear of upsetting the generations that followed us? Not sure whether I am being tongue-in-cheek or simply realistic.

IP Logged

Delboy
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2017, 9:25am

Mikej wrote on Aug 2nd, 2017, 3:23pm:
A surprise dropped through my door this morning!
It was the "New Look Prospero" - that sort of language is always a bad sign.
Previously it was entitled "The newspaper for BBC pensioners" but now it is called "The newspaper for retired BBC Pension Scheme members"
So presumably those staff who were never actual BBC scheme members but sorted themselves out, will not see it any more.
Not that there is that much in it but the Obits are always very sad.

Mike

Anyone who doesn't get the paper version (like me - I never bothered to apply) can read August's edition, along with back issues, here:
www.bbc.co.uk/mypension/documents/prospero.html

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print