Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Barry Norman (Read 2780 times)
Trevor
YaBB Newbies

Barry Norman
Jul 2nd, 2017, 2:07pm

The long-term presenter of BBC TV’s Film programme and Radio 4 presenter, Barry Norman, died last Friday, June 30th. He was 83.

I first worked with Barry on the Today programme when he was one of the presenters and I was a producer. I subsequently asked Barry to present a new R4 technology series, The Chip Shop. “But I know nothing about computers, Trevor.” he said and that’s exactly why I wanted him… a presenter who would ask the questions the audience wanted answering. It was the very early days of IT – the IBM PC was launched during the first run of the series.

Barry was a consummate broadcaster who could craft a mean script. He was a joy to work with and was one of the nicest people I’ve known. He was popular with the production team (that cannot be said of all presenters) and the audience loved him.

Although best known as a film critic and the presenter of BBC TV’s Film review programme from 1972 until 1998 years he was also a regular and much-loved voice on Radio 4.

He leaves two daughters.

Funeral arrangements are not yet available.

The BBC Online tribute is here:  
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40468411

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print