Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Audibility. Lords Debate (Read 6860 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Audibility. Lords Debate
Apr 5th, 2017, 10:33am

Television Broadcasts: Audibility

Here is the full text of the debate from Hansard.

"Asked by

Lord Naseby

To ask Her Majesty’s Government whether they will consult United Kingdom television broadcasters, particularly the BBC, to ensure that the viewing public can clearly hear the dialogue, particularly in dramas."

The Administrator.

IP Logged

apcwmwl

Re: Audibility. Lords Debate
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2017, 2:58pm

For many years, current and ex members of the Institute of Broadcast Sound have complained about intelligibility and incomprehensibility on our domestic broadcast channels. We know that much has been caused by no longer consulting with qualified ears (us) and the over-riding importance of pictures over sound - at least that's what it largely appears to be. Directors, Producers & Production members seem to care little about quality for the small screen, and in recent years, the easy option of using wireless microphones has led to indistinct dialogue instead of employing efficient and highly qualified staff to operate - though it must be said there can't be many left since most crews now seem to consist of members of the production office operating dv cams! Post production houses are also to blame for the reduction in standards. For cheapness the plethora of independents now flooding broadcast output means that quality control is now non existent.
Please do not start us again on the background music debate!!!

apcwmwl  
IP Logged

chris west

Spain
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2017, 11:33am

Thanks for posting the Lords' debate, a wonderful slice of an alternative view of reality. It's a serious topic, but I fear it will go nowhere with the government minister's reply "One person’s mumbling is another person’s atmosphere."

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #3 - Apr 10th, 2017, 2:00pm

The attached Lords debate sample made no reference to the sound problems on Drama being solely found on BBC productions. In my experience, sound issues on homegrown and imported drama from any of the ITV or C4 hubs is for the most part absolutely fine.

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2017, 9:19pm

Totally agree. Of course the ITV system is still partly based on practicioners in show business,drama and films etc. The BBC system appears to be accountancy led with nobody minitoring the output!

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2017, 2:27pm

Yes Roundabout--there is somebody monitoring the output-and that somebody does not know how a "fader works" .It sounds to me is that they have got two "faders" ( one for music -one for speech)both open wide-awful!. In the good old days-when attempting a voice over music -you peaked the speech to 5 on the "ppm" and the music to 1. You were also trained to be aware of how control room/transmitter compressors could muck up your long slow v/o fades. Remember how did you managed that?--easy--you did your Grin actual fade quite quickly and keep the music even lower that 1 if you had to!
Perhaps the Lords should get an expertly trained sound geezer with 40 years experience  to give them a demo!

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2017, 7:38pm

The very sad fact is that the BBC has a very comprehensive set of requirements, which it consistently fails to uphold.
Production - Sound Advice

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

Mikej

Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2017, 8:44am

Don't know if anyone saw the report on BBC Breakfast and lunchtime news all about Mumblegate but I have put a copy here as putting it on YouTube may get me into trouble!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yvsfjs8f8wrtvoj/AADt8vGHtF7A97Lk5T9N-WUba?dl=0

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #8 - Apr 13th, 2017, 9:02am

Mumblegate was a good item--but we needed to see what happens in a post production sound suite....that's where the evil begins. The sound recordist's dodgy piece could then easily have been properly equalised and balanced to bring the level up--whether external location or not--and as I said in an earlier post--it is perfectly possibly to over-control music and effects levels with dialogue to good effect. It's called balance and control--if i recall.

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print