Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TWO MINUTES SILENCE BBC 1 (Read 6443 times)
Roundabout

TWO MINUTES SILENCE BBC 1
Nov 11th, 2016, 11:17am

Absolutely amazed and offended that the BBC faded out the end of the two minute's silence broadcast on BBC 1 just as a man from the British Legion was quoting the famous Remembrance elegy to take us to yet another trailer for a forthcoming programme! What on earth has happened to the BBC. I have registered my complaints to the Audience Feedback line where I hope many many others will too!

IP Logged

Amigo

Re: TWO MINUTES SILENCE BBC 1
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2016, 1:26pm

Agreed, it was dreadful.

I got the impression they were caught out by the reader (possibly coming in quickly after the 'Last Post'). There was a sound fault on the bugler as well.

The chimes of Big Ben, followed by the gun-salute to signify the end of the Two Minutes' Silence is symbolic.

It's all well and very fancy to be able to go all round the different venues, but in my opinion, it would be much better to have a locked-off shot of the Cenotaph, for the whole two minutes, with only the sound of London....

no distractions.

IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2016, 3:12pm

Caught out they may have been but once the man had started they were obliged to stay with it not fade it halfway through!  Complainers to the official complaints website are asked if they wish to get an answer in writng so I have requested that too! I know it's high horse time but to me as ex Beeb, mucking about with Remembrance Day should be an employment offence!!

IP Logged

Burstner55
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2016, 5:35pm

I was watching the News channel. Don't know if it was the same as BBC1, but it was DIRE! They went to the National Arboretum with what looked like a PSC with one mic. Levels went up and down and finally sound was lost altogether whilst the newscaster seemed lost for words, scattering her words intermittently across the proceedings. "Produced" it was not!

IP Logged

Mike Carter
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Nov 14th, 2016, 9:20am

Quite agree, whoever thought that it would be appropriate to follow the two mins silence with programme trails would be better employed by someone else!

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2016, 3:23pm

The BBC's feeble excuse

"we were caught out" !

Professional broadcasters?  Office boy directing?

Of course we mustn't drop the adverts. They're much more important than the programmes.

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #6 - Nov 14th, 2016, 3:59pm

Feeble indeed Dickie, and of course no excuse at all nor mention of the lack of taste and lack of consideration for the viewers feelings at a time like this by preceeding the relay with FOUR  trailers and going straight after the premature fade-out to yet another trailer!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print