Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
S L O W News (Read 4363 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

S L O W News
Nov 7th, 2016, 1:47pm

Less NOW,

more

Why? and How?

"the BBC is promising viewers a pause for reflection by introducing “Slow News” into bulletins." says this report.

Speaking to staff, James Harding, Director of BBC News, said “slow news”, in which breathless reports are supplemented by experts explaining what lies behind the stories, would help audiences navigate the dizzying pace of current events.

“I think that many people feel bombarded by the news, because there seems to be so much of it, that it’s unrelenting,” Mr Harding said.

“Before we could finish explaining the Nice attacks, the Turkish coup struck and we were racing to understand what happened there.

The BBC is extremely good at reporting the ‘what’, but we need to be better at the ‘why’.”"

The Administrator.

IP Logged

chris west

Spain
Re: S L O W News
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2016, 4:51pm

Oh dear, shades of the unlamented John Birt's "bias against understanding". Reminds me of the old BBC maxim: If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it is......

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2016, 6:41pm

Fine--but restrict it to BBC News on line, thus making THAT more of an editorial newspaper?

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Reply #3 - Nov 10th, 2016, 3:24pm

"making THAT more of an editorial newspaper"  -  I absolutely agree with that concept!!

This would make the BBC News Online website far, far more "honest" - and provide something to differentiate it from the normal broadcast News output. After all, the News (be it the 1300, 1800 or 2200 TV News) is already pointing people to the BBCNews url for follow-up 'detail' ("more coverage" I think they call it).

Of course the real "problem" would be that such coverage would get up the nose of the newspapers, and give them some stiffer competition.
Yet that could be countered by the fact that the main Daily papers are now so obviously 'politically biased' - you only have to think of the Daily Heil, The Sun, The Mirror and even The Grauniad and their recent 'performance' (or lack of it!) over the referendum coverage - that a properly unbiased source of information, which would actually challenge the falsified claims of the various politicians or their puppets - would provide the people of this country (and even the world!) with a genuine source of truthful information. It might even give an opportunity for the BBC to provide a more balanced view of the parties - think of the outrage on social media caused by Laura Kuenssberg's reporting of the Cameron vs Corbyn 'situation' which was considered by many to be so slanted towards the Tories. Surely an ideal opportunity for 'Normal Smith' [sic] to be able to offer an alternative view!

One thing I would like it 'not to do' though - and that is tell me 'in advance' what the News is going to be!
I really hate it when the Today programme News bulletins tell me what so-and-so is going to say later on today. Let them say it, and then tell me what they said - and include whether what they' said is truth, spin or plain lies! For instance, when the Government say they're giving the NHS more money "this year than last" - tell the public whether this really is "new" money, simply money that had already been promised and is being recycled from some other pot or simply bending the truth. We deserve to know one way or another!

It's really time that the people of the UK- especially the people who are going to the trouble of logging into the BBCNews website - were treated as properly intelligent, rather than mere consumers of the fodder that is being pushed out by the media, and often just 'repeated' by the BBC!

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print