Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Antiques Roadshow (Read 9255 times)
V Meldrew
YaBB Newbies

Antiques Roadshow
Sep 2nd, 2016, 8:26am

Anyone see the "new look" Antiques Roadshow that was on BBC1 on 28th August?

I thought the picture quality to look slightly odd, rather "soft" and the perspective different to previous shows. I don't know if they used different cameras or it was recorded in progressive mode rather than interlace, but I found it difficultt to watch.

The colour grading was also very vivid. Was it just me or did others share my experince?

IP Logged

Amigo

Re: Antiques Roadshow
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2016, 8:46am

Victor...

I could not believe ..... how bad the picture quality was. I emailed the producer and received a standard 'out-of-office' notification. She's still on location.

I described the picture quality as 'Dire', lacking in 'presence'. It lacked sharpness.

I thought there was more 'wobbly-vision'.

Overall, it was very poor.

IP Logged

Mikej

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2016, 5:27pm

This is what I wrote to a Tech Ops group with information garnered from various facebook people involved.
Mike

Just a few quotes and apologies if some of these have been made by people on  this e-mail group:-
Vision friends, what has happened to Antiques Roadshow? Juddery pictures, poor contrast handling, out of lip-sync - are they recording it on their phones now?
I thought it was our telly on the blink!! Pleased it wasn't just us!!
The series producer decided he wanted it shot on PSC Cameras
One camera even seemed to be auto iris - a close-up of a hand changed exposure as the hand moved.
Glad it wasn't just me - I turned on late and thought my specs had misted up - looked soft to me
It's the result of listening to bullshit....get a "DOP", take on the ideology that progressive is the only way, but don't understand what that means, and also decide that cameramen who have had the nerve to work on sports should not be on the crew, despite having been on the show for 30 years (that was last season apparently)....... Get rid of the flyaway, racks....I could go on....about the self shooting....It's not the first time - You should have seen the chaos when the show went HD....i've still got the "I survived series 30" T Shirt. A typical example was the failure to look at any rushes for 2 months and only then discover that the back focus was out on one of the PSC cams (not mine, thankfully!). Glad not to be associated with the show now.
There was some very odd camera work - even husband commented and he's not very visually minded!! There was a kind of crash zoom/crab/track into a contributor mid way through a chat and then the reverse shot at the end of it - and wobbly!!
It is shot on F55s. Once you put it on a ped, you can't reach the iris so presume they are put on auto as there is no vision engineer, no return vision etc. The important bits of the OB in my view.
I used to work as a vision engineer on this show in the dim and distant past and it really does gall me that no vision quality control is deemed necessary on many shows nowadays. We did our bit as part of the crew and the results spoke for themselves.
It's the Antiques Road Show Evolution - or ARSE ... (I've not been offered any days on it for a while)
Some uncertain camerawork too. Who would frame like this (attached pic of two involved in an interview just poking heads in from L and R and rest of frame filled with also in focus punters)
The hazards of a 4:1 zoom lens. How we have progressed eh?

There is one apology from a cameraman (experienced) who apologises for a bad shot when he stepped backwards and stumbled on the grass. No chance of a re-shoot nowadays!!

IP Logged

Burstner55
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2016, 9:08pm

Different channels but maybe a similar problem? I would love to know why the ITV4 coverage of UK cycling events lacks the colour, precision and definition of The Tour de France and La Vuelta? Is this a Secam/PAL issue or pennypinching or? Today's Tour of Britain in the Lake District was shamefully pale and indistinct compared with the preceding coverage from Spain.

IP Logged

V Meldrew
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2016, 9:49am

I sent an email to the Antiques Roadshow Series Producer, and received this reply:

" Like many long running series, I think it’s important to ensure Antiques Roadshow continues a gentle evolution. (When I first joined the show many of the episodes were recorded in sports centres.) Our recent changes are intended to bring us in line with modern camera technology used by many other factual TV shows. Some of the richness of detail that we are now seeing bring forward colours and warmth in a way we’ve never seen before. I agree, the first few shows look a little hot, but give us time please and the flex to try to ensure a much loved old friend is in good shape to engage our viewers by utilising the kind of technology that allows more integration with other kit and a flexibility to grade out things like over exposure with more ease. Our old camera line up miss matched two different generations of cameras which were always problematic to mesh in the edit. And the sound has not changed…not that I am aware of. I do hope you will find the new formula will settle in.

Not sure if that is an admission that something is not quite right with the new look....I hope it will improve. I am rather surprised nobody noticed anything wrong in the edit?

IP Logged

alanh
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2016, 8:49pm

Following the comments here I had a look at Prog 1 via iplayer. ( accept that isn't 100% for quality etc) and agree with above comments.  I watched last night as broadcast and found it difficult to watch to the end.  In fact I didn't!  Where are the cameras focusing?  In many shots the spectators are sharper than the main subjects.   Is there some strange aperture correction being applied as various things seem very sharp? Example is the building in the background.  I note the reply received but maybe I'll leave it until prog 4 or 5 before I watch again.  

IP Logged

Amigo

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2016, 9:27pm

I am still waiting for a reply to the email I sent to the producer.

The last transmission was as bad. Almost unwatchable.

The pictures were "lifeless".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print