Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tony Cox (Read 4157 times)
Bill Jenkin

Tony Cox
Jun 18th, 2016, 12:27pm

I have seen this information from John O'Brien (ex Thames) about Tony Cox who worked in News studios.

Quote:
I am sorry to say that Tony Cox of cameras passed away on 14th of June morning at home. Tony was a cameraman  at ILEA TV before joining Thames in the 70s. He rose to Senior Cameraman before Tony joined Thames News as an ENG cameraman. When Thames lost it's franchise he worked as a freelance cameraman and worked at Live TV in Canary Wharf.  On one EFP shoot Tony was taken up with his camera on a para assender attached to a 4WD vehicle.  The parachute harness inverted  and Tony had a bad landing. He was taken to Hospital hours later where it was discovered he had a broken vertebra in his neck. A few years later Tony developed Parkinsons Disease, possibly as the result of the incident. He joined the BBC at Television Centre and again rose to Senior Cameraman and he remarked that he never thought an ITV cameraman would end up as a Senior Cameraman at the Beeb!  Tony was still as sharp as ever with logic and intellect and was involved with the Parkinson support group. He was asked to present a talk in the House of Lords at a Peers luncheon. Classical music, photography and a life member of BAFTA  kept his interest through the years. Three years ago he had a tingling and numbness, which later developed to affect his spinal cord,  the resulting paralysis to made him quadriplegic. A very lengthy 18+ month stay at various Hospitals before being transferred to The Royal Orthopaedic at Stanmore before he was allowed,  back to his adapted house via a nursing home. Throughout his wife Sheila was steadfast in her support and travelling to and fro in all weather's and never flinching in her support. Tony's sons Luke,  a trauma nurse and Anthony, in the Seattle,  have backed them all the way. Through all this adversity Tony kept his dry sense of humour and intellect. I asked him how he kept going, Tony replied" I am doing it be with Sheila" and Sheila was doing it to be with Tony.
Sheila would any of his ex colleagues from the Beeb like James Anderson to come to the Open House in Chiswick on Sunday the 26th of June  

IP Logged

Glen_B
Ex Member

Re: Tony Cox
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2016, 10:50am

Having just joined this forum I am sad to hear of the death of Tony.  I worked with Tony up to him leaving the BBC.  A lovely man, great humour and someone that didn't let a significant disability stop him working.  A sad loss.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print