Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phil Sayer (Read 2681 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Phil Sayer
Apr 15th, 2016, 2:15pm

Phil, who a former news-reader on BBC North West Tonight, and presenter on several radio stations including BBC GMR (now called BBC Radio Manchester), has died.

62 year-old Phil died of cancer on the 14th April. Apart from his broadcasting work, he was also know for the London Tube announcements "Mind the gap", etc.

Phil worked for the BBC in the 1980s.

This was written by Phil (from the BBC web-archive) within the "BBC North-West Tonight" page:-

"I was at BBC North West for ten years, initially to present regional TV news when breakfast television began."

"Later I moved onto the regional bulletin that followed the 9 o’clock news on BBC1 when the powers-that-be handed the regions a generous two-minute slot."

"From the mid-80s, I also went back to my roots and presented a daily show on BBC GMR (now Radio Manchester) during the day, before returning to read the TV news each evening."

...........most of my work is as a voice-over artist, though I still present live shows and conferences for corporate clients from time to time. It’s my voice on most of the automated PA systems on railway stations across the UK. As a result, I’m heard saying “Sorry…” quite a lot!"

The BBC News tribute is here.

"The World Tonight" had an interview with Jon Briggs, who knew Phil. The 5 minute interview is at 32.55 into the programme.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2016, 10:24pm by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print