Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bill Bebb (Read 8281 times)
JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Bill Bebb
Apr 7th, 2016, 8:56am

Just a brief announcement to inform that ...  Bill Bebb sadly passed away on Wednesday 6th April 2016.

I know a little of Bill's history - and there are surely many who know even more than I! - but Bill started his 'working' life as a musician, playing Guitar and Banjo in various bands, before joining the BBC as a producer back in the early/mid sixties, where he was eventually responsible for many of the BBC studio recordings of the many, many famous groups of the day.

A sublime producer, he was responsible for such programmes as Country meets Folk (with Wally Whyton), Sing Something Simple, and eventually The Jimmy Young Show.

In the mid-80s, he transferred across to BFBS, which allowed him to display his considerable abilities in management as well, and he made many, many friends in that organisation too.

I'm sure others will eventually provide much more background to Bill's life, so I'll leave it to them.

Suffice to say that his passing leaves a very big hole in my heart .. for a dear, dear friend. I'm missing him already. Cry

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Re: Bill Bebb
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2016, 10:41am

Following the untimely death of Bill Bebb, his sons would like to invite his friends to a celebration for this incredible man's amazing life.
The service will be held at Bournemouth Crematorium at 1.00pm on Monday 25 April:

Bournemouth Crematorium
                         Strouden Avenue
                         Bournemouth.   BH8 9HX
http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/BirthsDeathsMarriages/CemeteriesCrematoriums/Bourn...

Please wear colourful and dapper attire to reflect Bill's personality!

They would be grateful if instead of giving flowers you would donate to the charity MIND, and have set up a Just Giving page where you can make your donation https://www.justgiving.com/Bill-Bebb
Alternatively, there will be collection boxes on the day if you would prefer to give cash.

A celebration party will commence (at approximately 3pm) in The Liston Hotel ...
     5 Wollstonecraft Road
     Boscombe Spa
     Bournemouth.  BH5 1JQ
The Hotel has rooms available should you be travelling down and require accommodation. www.listonhotel.co.uk

Should you wish to book a room, please contact Dani Bebb at daniellebebb@yahoo.co.uk, or on 07766 768222 and she will arrange with the hotel for you.

Please bring your stories and laughter so we can give 'Banjo' Bill Bebb an amazing send off. Also, they would be delighted if the assorted musicians could bring their instruments down and perform in Bill’s memory. There is a good set up at the hotel for live music and it’s what Bill would have wanted.

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Mike_D
YaBB Newbies

Teddington
Reply #2 - May 5th, 2017, 10:39am

You might be interested in an interview I recorded with Bill Bebb, Bernie Andrews and Jimmy Grant recorded in 2007. You can access it on the British Entertainment History Project website at http://historyproject.org.uk/content/0591

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Reply #3 - May 5th, 2017, 3:53pm

Thanks for the pointer to that material, Mike.

I've heard Bill B speak of much of this content before, but it was good to see him recount those stories again.
Also very good to see and listen to Bernie Andrews, and his feelings about things. He really was badly treated by his Management.

Given the context of that interview, perhaps you should get hold of Bev Phillips, down Dorking way. He'll have some wonderful stories to fill out the catalogue!!

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print