Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Peter Donaldson (Read 11565 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Peter Donaldson
Nov 3rd, 2015, 6:10am

Peter Donaldson, for many years a Radio Four announcer and newsreader, and latterly head of Continuity for the network, has died.   He has been suffering from cancer and died at his home in Sussex, surrounded by his family.
More information later.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Peter Donaldson
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2015, 8:28am

Alice Arnold has gone on-line with a tribute to Peter. In her tribute she wrote:-
"Peter Donaldson employed me, nurtured me and was the best boss we ever had... a very sad day for the old Radio 4 family.. we loved him. RIP PD

Libby Purves was heard on The "Today" Programme paying a tribute to "Donald Peterson". Peter used this 'alter ego' while he was presenting a much-loathed "Up To The Hour" sequence in the middle of "Today" some years ago. After the ensuing protest by the rest of the staff, the sequence was eventually dropped. This enabled 'Today" to be a complete sequence.
This may be heard here.

The BBC Web-site has a tribute to Peter here. It includes John Humphrys' farewell, and concludes with Peter's voice announcing Armageddon.

« Last Edit: Nov 7th, 2015, 6:34pm by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Nov 3rd, 2015, 9:50am

Announcer Corrie Corfield's blog, here, "Leave A Pause Until It Hurts" - Memories of Peter Donaldson
recounts many happy times in the "Hat and Stick" or Studio YG1.

The "Greek Fridays" must have been quite an event.

« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2015, 10:57am by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 3rd, 2015, 9:56am

Gwyneth Williams, Controller Radio 4 paid this tribute to Peter:-

"Peter was a magnificent broadcaster. His voice came to stand for Radio 4 and to stand for the high quality of our content.

When you heard those deep tones on air you could expect the best- you believed what he said - and you felt, somehow, safe. He was enormously kind to me when I was a young producer and we would often share a chat over the headlines late at night in Broadcasting House.

We will miss him."

The Administrator.

IP Logged

JohnW

Eggington, Bedfordshire
Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2015, 10:27am

So sad to hear of his passing this morning.

I'd known Peter (or Donald as I would mostly call him!) ever since he joined (in 1970, I believe) and like many colleagues who worked in the Continuities, we got to know Peter and his fellow Announcers like members of the family - which is what I suppose we really were at that time.

Good as those days were, again like many, I spent hours (literally!) with him in the pub where he would regale some story or other over several jars and we would all dissolve into gales of laughter at the stories.

Having moved to Engineering at the turn of the 90s, when LCR was broken up, I lost much contact with him until, in 1997 I again came into direct contact with him as we 'imported' Radio News to Stage 6, with its new News studios. Donald and Brian Perkins (PerkyB01) were of course the old hands, and it was really good to be able to refresh that contact again (although I never quite managed to catch him in the TVC Bar!).

I shall always remember him in the good times - with Eugene Fraser, James Alexander Gordon and several others, often "much the worse for drink"(as Wogan always puts it!) - and the many, many happy times we enjoyed together.

Rest in Peace, Peter - old friend. We will surely miss you.

John-Westbury  
IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2015, 6:54pm

The PM programme broadcast a 12 minute tribute to Peter.

Brian Perkins, Neil Sleat, Jane Steel, Chris Aldridge, Charlotte Green, Zeb Soanes and Corrie Corfield took part.

It may be heard here

The Administrator.

IP Logged

chris west

Spain
Reply #6 - Nov 7th, 2015, 10:11am

Peter's funeral will be on Friday November 20th at 1pm at Worthing Crematorium.  Horsham Road, Worthing, West Sussex, BN14 0RG

Afterwards a glass or two to be raised at Pulborough Rugby Club.  Freelands, Pulborough Road, Pulborough, RH20 4HP.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #7 - Nov 7th, 2015, 5:35pm

Peter's family have arranged a "Just Giving" page.

They have asked for donations to Macmillan Cancer Support instead of flowers.

If you wish to donate please visit this page.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2015, 10:38pm

"Lives Remembered"- Peter Donaldson, from The Daily Express.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Roger_F
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2015, 1:49pm

An amusing incident with Peter.   On a Friday evening in the BH newsroom we dared each other to shave off our beards.  Thought it might make us look younger.  On the Monday to our horror we discovered we'd both got double chins!  We soon grew beards again!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print