Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Tom Corcoran (Read 7889 times)
Bill Jenkin

Tom Corcoran
Oct 30th, 2014, 9:07am

I have heard via another forum that the wonderful Tom Corcoran, who directed Late Night Line-Up, The Old Grey Whistle Test, The Live Aid Concert, Wogan amongst many others died on 23rd October after a short illness.
The funeral is on Wednesday 12th November at Mortlake Crematorium.
Afterwards Tom's sister Cathy Crossley has arranged for a Jazz Band to play at The Home Guard Club in East Sheen - address:  
Barnes Home Guard Club
76a Richmond Park Road SW14 8BT
Cathy wants as many friends and workmates as possibe to know about it.
If you want to contact Cathy you can message her via Facebook, her details are on Tom's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/tom.corcoran.963. Or if you are not on Facebook please send me a personal message via this forum.
Tom was a one off, someone it was always a joy to work with.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2014, 8:30pm by Bill Jenkin »  

IP Logged

Mike_St
YaBB Newbies

Re: Tom Corcoran
Reply #1 - Nov 4th, 2014, 9:34am

Just a little story..
I met Tom only once, and that was around 1978 when he bought me a drink or two in the TVC Club.
The previous week I'd found a pile of fivers in a TVC corridor and, after making unsuccessful enquiries in the adjacent offices, handed the £60 in to Reception, leaving my name.
As I finished my shift the receptionist called me over; apparently a sweaty and flustered Mr Corcoran had turned up there despondently asking if anyone had handed in the £60 of expenses that had fallen off the back of his clipboard.
I like to think it gave him a little more faith in human nature.

IP Logged

F.M.

Re: Tom Corcoran
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2014, 10:19pm

I met Tom in the summer of 1991 when I was a recording operator on a course at BBC Wood Norton training centre in Evesham.
He made an instant impact on me so much so that I still talk about him today, he was a very generous ,witty, intelligent man.
I was only just starting out on a new career path he was gracious enough to share some very good advice with me and my colleagues.
I recall we sat outside at his insistence and he delivered the 'lecture' to the class reclining on the grass & as he regailled us with story after story he would punctuate parts of it using the word 'Toomph' a word I had never heard before and it made me smile so I adopted it,now my three kids use it too. Frank Mungall BBC Scotland.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print