Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jackie Hearn (Read 10591 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Jackie Hearn
Apr 16th, 2014, 1:54pm

Jackie Hearn, who worked in the Radio Newsroom for many years, has died.  She'd been suffering from cancer.  More to follow.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

chris west

Spain
Re: Jackie Hearn
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2014, 9:45am

Sad news, I enjoyed Jackie's company over a pint or two.

IP Logged

aashton

Reply #2 - Apr 23rd, 2014, 9:20am

The funeral will be on Wednesday 14th May at 1100 at Medway Crematorium

IP Logged

aashton

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2014, 4:24pm

John Brice says the best train from London for the funeral would be the 0922 from Victoria, arriving 1009. He says it is a reasonable journey to the crematorium, but he will arrange transport if you contact him -john252brice@btinternet.com
A celebration of her life will be held afterwards at the King George V, his pub, at Brompton.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2014, 5:40pm

Jackie's friend and colleague for many years, John Brice, has provided this obituary:

Jackie Hearn 1946 – 2014

Jackie Hearn – who worked in the national radio newsroom in a variety of roles for more than 20 years – has passed way after a long illness.

She began her BBC career in 1974 with BBC Radio Medway after a spell with the Municipal Journal writing about local government affairs.

Her contacts with senior police officers led her to edit a weekly programme Crime Call which involved the local police making appeals to the public for help in solving crimes.

One of the main presenters was Chief Superintendent David Hatcher who went on to become a main character in Crimewatch on national television.
He said: ‘Without Jackie’s help and guidance I would never have been able to make the transition to Crimewatch. Her vision for the programme was way ahead of its time.

‘She was a brilliant journalist and a wonderful woman who will be sadly missed.’

While at BBC Radio Medway, Jackie covered many of the big stories of the day. Her news editor at the time, Langley Brown, said: ‘From the start of every working day Jackie would lift our spirits by opening new prospectives on whatever was on the menu. She was the sunshine in so much of our lives.’  

She left Medway to join the BBC in the national newsroom at Broadcasting House in London. There she began working on the local radio desk.

From there she began writing the hourly news summaries for all five of the BBC’s national radio stations. She also worked as a reporter covering the major UK stories of the day.

It led to her doing shifts as News Organiser and Foreign Duty Editor.

During her time in Medway, she worked with Richard Clark who is now the Editor of the BBC Newsroom.

He paid this tribute to her: ‘What made Jackie a joy to work with was the lack of ego. As someone who has worked as a reporter and producer, and had worked in the field as well as the newsroom, she had ‘been there, seen that, done it’ but this never led her to believe she was bigger than the story.’

Jackie retired in 2007 after 33 years working for the BBC in a variety of news roles.

She was born in Strood.  She had two older brothers, Chris who now lives in Spain and Michael who has made his home in Australia.

She went to the Elaine Avenue Junior School and onto Chatham Grammar School for Girls before going into journalism.

She was closely involved in the music scene in the county and married her first love, the lead singer of Vanity Fair, Trevor Brice.

She often told the story of watching him appear on Top of the Pops wearing one of her waistcoats which she had thought was missing.  

Five years ago she was diagnosed with breast cancer. After lengthy treatment, she appeared to be recovering. Then, unexpectedly, it returned and she passed away at Medway Hospital.

Throughout her life, Jackie was involved in various charity fund raising events. Her last challenge was part of a team which raised more than £50,000 during the last year to re-build a pre-school nursery in a township just outside of Cape Town.

She was also a familiar face at the Medway Beer Festival for the last 10 years, helping the organising team who run the event.

Her funeral is at the Medway Crematorium at 1100 on Wednesday 14th May followed by a celebration of her life at the King George V pub in Brompton.
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2014, 3:01pm by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

RSx
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Sep 7th, 2014, 2:46pm

Jackie was one of the kindest people I have worked with, ever. As an enthusiastic twenty-something arriving in the radio newsroom, I was always able to rely on Jackie for support and encouragement as well as guidance. She was a joy to work with [for], especially on early-morning and weekend shifts when there were just the two of us on the local radio desk.

The mono image in this online tribute by Ariel is how I shall remember her: smiling yet in total control of the situation:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/27254047

...and this of her mellifluous on-air voice:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/405000/audio/_409194_hearn.ram

Thank you, Jackie, for everything in those early days of my career - how I marvelled that you could dictate a cue from the top of your head without pausing, how you would craft a package in the back of the taxi returning to the studio, and for all the hints and tips you shared with me. Putting them all into practice when I began reporting in Sussex, I shall never forget your help and guidance.

God bless you....

Trevor Butler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print