Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ken Goudie (Read 15557 times)
aashton

Ken Goudie
Nov 20th, 2013, 8:20am

The former editor of Today, World Tonight and before that assitant editor in the BH Newsroom, Ken Goudie, died in a nursing home in Malmesbury, yesterday.
He was in his late 80s.
He leaves a son, Fred, and a daughter Lucy and two grand children.
Sympathy cards and letters should be sent to them at 8, Gloucester Street. Malmesbury, SN16 0AB.
The funeral arrangements will be announced later.
Ken worked on nespapers in the West country and for the Press Association before joining the BBC where he stayed for more than 30 years.
A big, jovial man who loved life, drink and food - curries were his special favourites - he will be sadly missed by his many friends and former colleagues.

IP Logged

aashton

Re: Ken Goudie
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2013, 7:37pm

Ken's funeral is at 3pm next Friday - November 29th - at Westerleigh Crematorium. This is about 20 miles from Malmesbury off the M4 towards Bristol and quite close to Chipping Sodbury.
If you get an e-mail from Ken's son Fred it says there will be drinks afterwards at the White Lion in Malmesbury. This is in fact Ken's house at 8, Gloucester Street, Malmesbury - a former pub.
The reference to the White Lion threw me at first and I have been there many times.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2013, 3:36pm

Alan's obituary for Ken appears in "The Guardian".

It may be found here.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2014, 4:10pm

This obituary appeared in The Times:

KEN GOUDIE
Published at 12:01AM, January 9 2014
BBC journalist who skilfully steered the Today programme through troubled waters

Ken Goudie was the man chosen to rescue the BBC’s Today programme when it went through the most difficult period in its history. In 1977, the then Controller of Radio 4, Ian McIntyre, had deemed that reducing the programme from two hours to one would improve its quality. So he cut Today into two 30-minute segments and filled the gaps with a programme called Up to the Hour, a mish-mash of weather, trails, music, sport and the Thought for the Day slot.

The new programme was hosted by Radio 4 announcers, one of whom, Peter Donaldson, echoed the derision with which the programme was held by most within the BBC by thanking listeners on-air for not re-tuning to Radio 2. He even distanced himself from it by announcing himself as Donald Peterson. Eventually, after a few months, the BBC’s Director-General Ian Trethowan declared e demanded that Today be restored to its previous format.

Ken Goudie was chosen to put the programme back on its feet. As the assistant editor of the newsroom, he was regarded as a safe pair of hands. His acute news sense, authority and affability were the qualities necessary to calm the troubled waters.

It was the highpoint of a journalistic career that had begun at the age of 15 when he joined his local paper, the Gloucestershire Echo. Kenneth Wallace Goudie had been born in Amersham, Bucks in 1926 but had moved to Cheltenham as an infant when his father was moved there as an accountant for a construction company building airfields. Goudie’s first task was to interview mothers who had lost loved ones during the war — a difficult rite of passage for a cub reporter. In 1944, at the age of 18, he was called up by the RAF and served in clerical positions in Singapore, Burma and India.

He returned to the Echo after demob in 1947. Six years later, after his father had taken a job in New Zealand, he decided to emigrate there only to return with his mother within a year after the marriage failed. In 1954, he became a reporter with the Press Association, sharpening his journalistic skills. He was exactly what BBC radio was looking for when boosting its news output and he joined the corporation in 1957 as a sub-editor. By 1978, when he moved to Today, he had risen to the post of assistant editor.

Today proved an immediate challenge. Aside from rectifying a wrong-headed experiment, there was an initial resentment from the current affairs department at the arrival of an interloper from news. There was a personal rivalry between presenters Brian Redhead and John Timpson that would need careful management, and there was a tendency for producers to push single issue causes which Goudie wanted to stop. After the 1979 election of Margaret Thatcher, who viewed the BBC with suspicion and refused to appear on the programme, the editor of Today became an increasingly politically sensitive post. This was particularly so as the Troubles in Northern Ireland worsened.

Goudie proved an able diplomat who exuded a calm sense of authority even in the most trying circumstances. He is said to have presided over the programme “like a benign Buddha”. A cultured man, in quieter moments he would put on earphones and listen to Radio 3. Goudie changed the atmosphere within the programme too, casting aside aloofness to join his staff on frequent visits to pubs and local Indian restaurants where his appetite became legendary.

A big shambling bear of a man, he was affectionately known as “two dinners Goudie”. He once went for a BBC medical and as the doctor pushed more and more weights across the scales, Goudie inquired: “A little overweight am I doctor?” The reply came: “Well according to my chart you should be 8ft 6in.” Despite this imposing presence, he was soft as a manager of people. When a foreign correspondent was brought back for a pep talk, Goudie was deputed to tell him to pull his socks up. He took him to lunch but admitted afterwards that he just couldn’t bring himself to do it.

He spent three years at Today before moving to the more tranquil pastures of The World Tonight in 1981 which he edited until he left the post through “waning powers”, a BBC term used for enforcing retirement. One of his colleagues, the late Michael Vestey, was so taken by the phrase that he used it as the title of a satirical novel about the BBC. Retirement meant more time for Goudie to indulge his love of steam railways and for classical music. He is survived by a son Fred and a daughter Lucy.

Kenneth Goudie, journalist, was born October 26,1926. He died on November 19, 2013, aged 87

The Administrator.

IP Logged

webb
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2014, 11:12am

There will be many of Ken's newsroom contemporaries who will remember the Battle of Britten between him and Alan Beecham over the music to be used in the composer's obituary, which was sitting for weeks in front of the Ass Ed's desk. Ken, who loved music, had of course made the better choice: one of the Sea Interludes. Beautiful, quintessential Britten. Alan, showing he knew nothing about music, insisted on the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra, Britten's "variations and fugue on a theme of Henry Purcell". The audience would know it better, he said. As Britten lingered at death's door and the BH Ass Ed shifts changed, each time the tape in the fat envelope was changed. The Radio 4 audience was indeed fortunate in the timing of Britten's death. Listeners heard a few seconds of interlude music from the greatest post-war English opera.

IP Logged

AlanB
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - Jan 19th, 2014, 1:49pm

My attention has been drawn to the curious,inaccurate post by Webb.  To correct the record: Ken and I  chose two clips of Britten's music independently.  He chose the first Sea Interlude from Peter Grimes; I chose the second interlude - both "quintessentially Britten".    The Young Person's Guide was chosen by the summaries desk for use on Radios One and Two. This may have been suggested or approved by Ken.  I had no say in this - I was a Senior Duty Editor (not an Assistant Editor)  at that stage.  Britten died  at a weekend.  I was on a night shift; the news broke just before the 9am news and I put it out on Radio Four with a clip of the first sea interlude selected by Ken.  I hope now that Webb will sleep  easy, knowing that Ben was treated with due respect.

IP Logged

Bob_D
YaBB Newbies

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2014, 10:40am

All this takes me back to a time in the early 70s when I was Ken's oppo on a pilot for the new 30 minute Radio Four 1800. To nobody's surprise, he stuck a big chunk of music in . It was the overture to the Flying Dutchman and the pretext was a forthcoming Television production . As if that wsn't shocking enough , he segued it straight off the back of the previous piece , which was very Newsbeat for Radio Four news in those days .  Ken's musical tastes and knowledge were
immense, apart from his inexplicable admiration for the conducting of Herbert von Karajan.

IP Logged

aashton

Reply #7 - Jan 31st, 2014, 10:38am

At the risk of stirring up another controversy, I always thought Ken did not favour von Karajan. At any rate, he approved of my dropping off to sleep during a performance by the above named in (then West)Berlin at the opening of a new concert hall.
Why did I fall asleep? Well I was rather tired, on a Today freebie, along with one Peter Gallimore.
Enough said.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print