Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Frank Holland (Read 4059 times)
Simon Vaughan- APTS Archivist

Derby, UK
Frank Holland
Apr 30th, 2013, 7:16pm

I have just heard from Yvonne Littlewood that Frank Holland, former Property Master, died last week.

Apparently Frank was suffering from parkinson's disease, and had been in hospital for the past three months.

Frank started at Alexandra Palace, for the BBC Television Service, as a call-boy and retired as Property Master.

A few years ago Frank donated the BBC Prop Book to the APTS Archives.  This was a record of all properties in the stores circa mid-1950s.  Until this record book was devised items of props had been known by who used them most; there was the Algenon Blackwood chair, the Philip Harben counter, the Joan Gilbert chair, the Kaleidoscope set!  This was confusing for new people, so a system of numbers was devised and Frank implemented it.

Frank was a mine of information and was a delightful man to talk with.  Yet another original member of the Alexandra Palace staff is no longer with us!

Sadly, Yvonne did not know any of the funeral details, so I am unable to pass these on.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2013, 10:29pm by Simon Vaughan- APTS Archivist »  

Simon Vaughan
Archivist
for and on behalf of
Alexandra Palace Television Society
~~~~~~
web: www.apts.org.uk
         www.youtube.com/aptsarchive
mail: apts@apts.org.uk
~~~~~~
IP Logged

Geoffrey Drama
YaBB Newbies

Re: Frank Holland
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2013, 7:40pm

It is very sad to hear that Frank Holland has passed. Hilary must be devastated. I always found Frank to be a very special colleague.  He was extremely fair when allocating Property Buyers to a specific production. He would listen to our requests and without fear of favour he would make his decision and I respected it ... another BBC staff member who made the organisation work has left us - God Bless you Frank.  Geoffrey Paget

Geoffrey+Drama Geoffrey+Drama  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print