Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Visiting BBC Premises. (Read 18747 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Visiting BBC Premises.
Oct 6th, 2012, 9:11pm

"Prospero" reports that Pensioner "Retired Passes" will no longer be available from March.

"The review has highlighted that the BBC, its people, buildings and systems are vulnerable to a variety of security threats. In order to minimise these risks, it is necessary to control access to BBC buildings as tightly as possible.

Therefore the BBC has reluctantly decided that only current employees and accredited contractors will be given unrestricted access.

The change will be introduced at the end of March next year. As a consequence, no new retired passes will be issued or renewed."

The October issue of "Prospero" (as a pdf) may be found here.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Mikej

Re: Visiting BBC Premises.
Reply #1 - Oct 7th, 2012, 4:45pm

I have to say that in the W London area, there isn't much reason to visit anyway. TC seems to have more "tourists" looking into empty studios than working staff and that will get more so when News move out. East Tower already empty.
The promised continued access to the club is rather pointless as that closes in March 2013
I guess the BBC shop will close soon after leaving NO BBC shop in London and certainly nowhere to make use of pensioners discount.
In the White City complex, as I understand it, access to the Broadcast Centre is already severly restricted and the Media Centre, White City and Centre House are also really just office blocks and isn't research due to move from there to MR?
Who needs to visit Film Library or Elstree (though that may improve when Worldwide go there for a few years). KA closed some time ago and now sold - as is Post Production/Presentation/Engineering/IT/Prem Ops.
In Central london, no Bush/MHS and soon no Yalding/HWH. Even current staff have to have special training before visiting BH Extension and Egton (or whatever they are called today).
Western House is a couple of Radio stations and the club there is not really worth visiting - The George or even The Yorkshire Grey are much nicer.
By the way, how long before the London BBC Club passes into history as well as WH and possibly Elstree will be the only fremaining ones.?
Heading further afield, I understand GW and MR are pretty well "off limits" and who wants to visit the broom cupboards that are English Regions premises? (Although NT was still quite nice and friendly last time I went there with a friendly locally staffed canteen.)
WN is just a shadow of its former self and mostly shut off behind barricades and a dearth of students - though the canteen retains its character and memories.
Ah well - as they all say, we had the best years of the BBC!

Mike

IP Logged

david en france

Old Whittington, Derbyshire.
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2012, 7:03pm

Hear, hear!

IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #3 - Oct 8th, 2012, 3:33pm

I second that David!

IP Logged

Knocking On
YaBB Newbies

North of Watford
Reply #4 - Oct 8th, 2012, 10:11pm

Well I think there is no way other than reading the article and coming to the conclusion that "You are not wanted" is the underlying theme to us pensioners.

Having recently seen the programme about TVC I came to the conclusion that I probably would NOT want to go back there for a looksee....I found the whole programme had an upsetting effect, as the 13 years I spent at TVC (and the people) were the best I could have had in a "working" life.

IP Logged

Mikej

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2012, 11:27am

With reference to  my earlier posting, I had lunch in Western House Club yesterday. Mistake on the food but the beer is cheap and one can get the free Radio Times!
New high tables and hard chairs would not seem out of place in the crew room of a steel factory however.
Discovered that the new red badge straps denote that one has learnt where the exits are in new BH and there is now a green set for First Aiders.
Called into BH Extension reception which is supposed to be a "Public Place" and found there is a new "Let you read the news" stand there for the inevitable tourists - though not working yet and who will look after it?
The public may also have outside access to the Costafortune cafe on the Portland Place side but the Commissar wasn't certain!

Mike

IP Logged

WG

Hitchin
Reply #6 - Oct 29th, 2012, 4:56pm

Yes-it is a pity that pensioners are no longer allowed to have formal access unless accompanied or by pre-arrangement etc-but cést la vie.

Remember though-when full access was allowed, in the good old days, there would be nothing to stop an aged ex-member of staff striding around the corridors of TVC, BH or Bush at 03.00 in the morning. Indeed--if my memory serves me well--there were one or two eccentrics who did just that.  The 03.00 early breakfast service in Bush House was very popular for these individuals

Mr Playlist

IP Logged

david en france

Old Whittington, Derbyshire.
Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2012, 7:36pm

When I was fortunate enough to be appointed a News Producer  at Radio Sheffield in 1973 I did my  training course at The Langham and discovered on day one that not only did Jimmy Young dine in the salad bar but Wilfred Pickles and Mabel were to be found there every day. Bargain hunters or Beeb addicts? Just wish I could still take a lunch in The Langham salad bar!

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2012, 9:28am

"Ariel" is now reporting the removal of "Retired Staff Security Passes" here.

"BBC to deny entry to retired staff"  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print