Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chris Tye (Read 9958 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Chris Tye
Aug 9th, 2012, 4:15am

Chris Tye, a stalwart of the Bush House Newsroom, has died.  He had a brain tumour and died in a hospice near his home in South East London.  More details to follow.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Chris Tye
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2012, 9:06pm

The funeral will take place on Wednesday August 22nd, at 11.30 at:

St. Paul's Church,
Brackley Road,
Beckenham  
Kent, BR3 1RB

All are most welcome to attend.

The nearest station is New Beckenham BR.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Aug 14th, 2012, 7:31pm

Here are the final details for Chris' funeral and the reception afterwards, as well as a note from the family about suggested donations...........

The funeral is to take place on Wednesday 22 August at 11.30 am at St Paul's Church, Brackley Road, Beckenham. There will be a short crematorium service after the funeral for the family.

After the funeral, everyone is invited to a reception at Beckenham Cricket Club (a 5-10 minute walk from the Church) where some buffet food and drinks will be served. The relevant address details are as follows:

St Paul's Church, Beckenham, Brackley Road, Beckenham, Kent BR3 1RB
http://bit.ly/NAD41S

Nearest train stations: New Beckenham (5 minutes walk), Beckenham Junction (20 minutes walk).

Beckenham Cricket Club, 19 Foxgrove Road, Beckenham, Kent BR3 5AS
http://bit.ly/Phx5E0

Finally, the family kindly asks for no flowers please. However, if anyone would like to make a donation in Chris's memory, we would like to see donations go to any of the following three charities which Chris had links with:
Brain Tumour Research - a group of charities that work to raise funds for vital research into the prevention and treatment of brain cancer, which is extremely under-funded, and ultimately to significantly improve the outcomes for patients: www.braintumourresearch.org/background
St Christopher's Hospice - the hospice in Sydenham where Chris spent his final days. Only a third of its income is funded by the NHS and so relies heavily on donations to continue its excellent work caring for patients towards the end of their life: http://www.stchristophers.org.uk/
Lymphoma Association - provides information and support to patients and families affected by lymphoma. Chris was a member of the organisation:http://www.lymphomas.org.uk/about-us
Donations should be made by cheque only and be made out in the name of the chosen charity. Cheques should be sent to the Funeral Directors (J & R Killick Ltd, 112 High Street, West Wickham, Kent, BR4 0ND) who will arrange for these to be sent on to the relevant charities. Please write Chris Tye's name on the back of the cheque.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2012, 12:32pm

This tribute to Chris was delivered at his funeral on August 22, 2012 by former colleague Paul Legg:

Chris was a journalist for the best part of a remarkable forty-five years.........

He trained in the north-west of England and started work on local newspapers. But in 1967, barely 22, he became a "Ten Pound Pom" and emigrated to Australia. There, he found work on The Brisbane Courier, The Melbourne Age and then with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, the ABC. He was having a great time and might well have stayed but it was his mother, I'm told, who spotted an advert in the British press for editors at the BBC World Service. He travelled home overland, sat the newsroom test and was gratefully recruited.

Chris joined the BBC in 1971 and would have been immediately thrown in to writing stories about the Vietnam War, the Troubles in Northern Ireland and the Apollo missions to the moon. He did his last shift at Bush House -- 38 years later -- in November, 2009, when making sense of the global financial crisis and the search for the so-called Higgs Boson particle would have made for a different sort of challenge. There were, of course, a few fairly big stories in between!

Chris was no One Department Man.... He did a stint in the domestic radio newsroom early on in his career, twice worked for the parliamentary unit and also had a spell at World Service Television. But he kept coming home to Bush House where his international outlook, open-mindedness and total lack of ego made him so well suited.

In the days since Chris died, there has been a flood of tributes from former colleagues which testify not only to the regard with which Chris was held as a journalist but the deep affection for him as a colleague and friend. There are too many to quote in their entirety, but I'd like to give you a flavour of them now:

One current editor wrote: "When I arrived in the newsroom in the early 1980s, I very quickly realised that Chris was regarded as a model writer. Years later, when I became a Senior Duty Editor, Chris was my right-hand man -- calm, wise, judicious; he was my rock."

Another former editor said: " Chris was a dream to work with: top writer, great judgement, totally reliable, utterly unflappable. But more important, a really smashing chap."

And from another colleague: "a true gentleman and a first class journalist: thoughtful, conscientious, self-effacing and a joy to work with -- a thoroughly decent bloke."

That word "decent" crops up countless times in the tributes to Chris, along with "lovely" and "gentle." Those are not normally adjectives associated with journalists...... But Chris was the polar opposite of the cynical, hard-bitten hack....

As someone else commented: "I never heard him say a mean word about anyone. And I never heard anyone say a mean word about Chris." Not a bad accolade that......

I'd like to leave the final word to one of Chris' oldest newsroom friends, Alex Kirby, who I'm sure speaks for all of his former colleagues:

Alex wrote: "...part of what made him Chris was to be so unassuming that I think he would be surprised to find just how much of a gap he leaves in so many lives and how deeply his colleagues valued him. I can't think of many, either at World Service or the domestic BBC, who have evoked such a single-minded response and so much sadness at his loss."

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Nov 16th, 2012, 1:14pm

"Ariel" has published an obituary:-

Chris Tye was a stalwart of the World Service Newsroom for nearly 40 years.

His BBC career began in 1971 and ended in 2009, stretching from the Vietnam War to the global financial crisis.

Chris trained in the north-west of England, beginning his career on local newspapers. In 1967 he emigrated to Australia where he worked in the press and with the ABC. He returned home to the World Service.

He did spells in the domestic newsroom, in the parliamentary unit and World Service Television. But Bush House newsroom was where his heart was.

He rose to duty editor, frequently acting up to SDE, and gained a reputation for being fair, balanced and having first class news judgment. But mostly, people remember Chris for being kind. In a newsroom which could be harsh and unforgiving, he was unfailingly generous and helpful: many new journalists benefitted from his advice.

'Strong personality'

That's not to say he was a soft touch. Chris had firm views, about management, the union and the news of the day, and was not afraid to express them. But he managed to combine a strong personality with a gentle and courteous manner.

In appearance he was tall - one might almost say gangling - and slender. He'd approach the desk, his head slightly on one side. A self-deprecating smile.

'Um… I just wonder if we really ought to be saying this…'

No sane editor ignored one of Chris's interventions.

One senior journalist said: 'Chris was a model writer - calm, wise, judicious.'

Another wrote: 'Chris was a dream to work with: top writer, great judgment, totally reliable, utterly unflappable.'

And another: 'A true gentleman and a first class journalist: thoughtful, conscientious, self-effacing - a thoroughly decent bloke.'

'Wonderful anecdotes'
That word 'decent' crops up again and again, along with 'lovely' and 'gentle'. These are not normally adjectives associated with journalists. But Chris was no cynical, hard-bitten hack.

Someone said: 'I never heard him say a mean word about anyone. And I never heard anyone say a mean word about Chris.'

That's not a bad accolade.

He was also a very funny man - a good drinking companion and a source of wonderful anecdotes.

Chris leaves his wife, Vivien, son Nick, daughters Rachel and Hannah and his grandson Joseph.

(Obituary by Sally-Anne Thomas, former newsroom editor, World Service News)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/20357381

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print