Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC Rugby Club (Read 7273 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

BBC Rugby Club
Feb 6th, 2012, 11:03am

Does anyone have any recollection of the BBC Rugby team/club?  Presumably it was part of the BBC Club...?  A visitor to this forum is trying to collect information about it.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: BBC Rugby Club
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2012, 11:56am

A keen member of this forum has found the following:

This was in the April edition of Prospero.  Note that the Rugby Club has its next reunion next Monday:

For the nth year in succession, members of the now extinct BBC Rugby Club held a reunion in celebration of their many successful and not to be forgotten tours to Guernsey over the Valentine’s weekends.
Held again at 12.30pm on the Monday closest to 14 February at the King’s Arms, Roupelle Street, just off Waterloo Station, 13 ex-tourists turned up, with excuses from others, for one reason and another.
A great time was had by all, but it was the familiarity of the faces and the memories of the many great games and times that we all had that makes it worth being there. Unfortunately, a few of the lads are no longer with us, and some who are unable to be with us for health reasons, in particular the initiator and ‘Ead ‘Itter of ‘Over the Bar’ – Brian Keyser, who is remembered by all and Sends His Regards whilst hoping to make it again, one day.
A number of the well-known lads from the past are also missing without trace. For example, where are: Tom Palmer, Norman Goody, Dave Filkin, Chris Bridge, Alan Wareing, Alan Mansey, Bruce Messenger, Mike Johnson, John Barker and all those lost souls with whom we had such good times? Lawrie de Whalley turned up, so where are you lads?
George Haley, now in Germany, provided the cost of a barrel of beer (at 1967 prices of course), which amounted to £16 and nine pence. Because of his current affluence, he kindly donated £20 to the kitty (Aye! Twenty Poonds!) (Perhaps some of those mentioned above would like to make a similar gesture if they are unable to attend.)
The next meeting will be held at the same time and place on Monday, 13 February 2012, so put it in your diary now. The member with the current furthest distance to travel appears to be Rom Meager, who comes up from Dorset.
Pete Osborne is the general co-ordinator, but any queries can be addressed to leighton.dyer@yahoo.co.uk

And this was in  Prospero in July 2011:

Rugby recollections
I was interested in the article about the rugby club in the April edition of Prospero. It brought back many happy memories.
I played for the BBC rugby side from 1955 to 1960, being skipper for the 1959 and 1960 seasons. We played, of course, at Motspur Park and because of this I bought a house about 15 minutes walk away from the ground.
I remember such names as Roger Chase, Harry Marriott, Johnny Ford, Bill Taylor, Roger Wakefield, Geoff Atkinson, Derek East, Liam Nolan, Ken Hughes and of course Brian Keyser who was then a mere youngster. Charles Curran, who later became director general, often refereed our games at Motspur Park.
I still have my rugger shirt together with an engraved winner’s medal, I think from 1960, for winning the ‘Harrods Sevens’ competition.
In 1959 we visited Paris and because the French radio and television team played rugby league we were not allowed by the RFU to play against them. We played against Vincennes and were received like royalty by the Mayor of Vincennes. We had a wonderful time – I remember the entertainment by one of the very large opponents. Tom Smart

You can see a pdf of the entire April edition here:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mypension/en/prospero_april_2011.pdf

and the July edition here:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/mypension/en/prospero_july_2011.pdf

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print