Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Johnny Longden (Read 7041 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Johnny Longden
Sep 29th, 2011, 9:31am

It is with great sadness that we have been informed of the death, on Monday night, of Johnny Longden. He was soon to celebrate his 89th birthday.

A well-respected broadcast engineer, renown for designing sound desks. He joined the BBC in 1940.

Amongst many positions, he was Engineer- in- Charge of BBC Radio London in its early years.

The funeral will be on Thursday 6th October.
More information will be posted here as it becomes available.

Johnny wrote an article about his war-time reminiscences for Roger Beckwith's site.
It (and links to other items regarding Johnny's illustrious BBC history) can be found here:-

http://www.btinternet.com/~roger.beckwith/bh/misc/longden.htm

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Johnny Longden
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2011, 1:19pm

The funeral for Johnny Longden will be on Thursday 6th October at the East chapel of Ruislip Crematorium at noon on what would have been John's 89th birthday.

Family flowers only, but donations to Macmillan Nurses, in appreciation of their help to John's late wife Dorothy, through Walding & Sons, 63 High Street, Uxbridge, UB8 1JP.
01895 233018

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Amigo

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2011, 1:30pm

This is very sad news.

Johnny was a gentleman.

His legacy will be remembered for many years to come.
In the annals of BBC History a "Longden Desk" will appear.

Thank you, Johnny, for what you did for me, it was nice to know you.
My thoughts are with his family.

IP Logged

Radiosmurf
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Oct 4th, 2011, 10:14am

It was with great sadness that I learned of the death of Johnny after a very short illness.

As a new recruit to the BBC in 1967 I was so fortunate to have worked with John for a couple of years in the Special Projects Unit of the Central Maintenance Unit at BH the requirement of which was to create unique pieces of equipment from small items for a specific purpose to stereo OB mixers quickly and to a tight budget.  John was an inspiration and delight to work with and his sense of humour incorporating delicately mangled words – a skill he may have learned from his contemporary OB engineer colleague Stan Unwin – I have since done my best to perpetuate!

With his irrepressible sense of humour, healthy disrespect for management and lateral approach to technical problems he managed to create innovative equipment which was well liked, and thus respected, by its users; a principle I have always strived to imitate.  In this way John managed to carve out a niche in broadcast engineering history which will endure for many years.

To have made such a mark in our business while being liked, respected and remembered by many colleagues is a considerable achievement.

Johnny, thank you so much for all I learned from you at the start of my BBC career for which I will always be grateful.  I was proud to be called your minion!

Bob Smith

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2011, 9:59pm

The Daily Telegraph Obituary may be found here:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/culture-obituaries/tv-radio-obituarie...

"In 1941, when he was just 19, Longden manned the control desk for the King’s Christmas broadcast, having been firmly told that on no account was he to speak to His Majesty. “He was very nervous and kept straightening his tie,” Longden recalled. “It became increasingly difficult not to speak to him, because he kept pacing around, and eventually he asked me: 'How’s it going?’ I was so nervous I could only reply: 'Slowly’."

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print