Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This Is The BBC - Uploaded to YouTube (Read 5673 times)
Simon Vaughan- APTS Archivist

Derby, UK
This Is The BBC - Uploaded to YouTube
Apr 22nd, 2011, 4:44pm

This Is The BBC has been uploaded to the Alexandra Palace Television Society’s YouTube Channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K37_naDSEA

An impression of twenty-four hours of an imaginary day in the life of the BBC.  The sound track consists entirely of the announcements,  programme music and the voices of artists and commentators and technical staff.

Transmitted on the opening night of BBC Television Centre.

Producer: Richard Cawston

Transmitted:  29th June 1960

This film footage is from the Archive Collection held and administered by the Alexandra Palace Television Society.

~ APTS ~
Preserving the televisual past for the digital future

www.apts.org.uk

Simon Vaughan
Archivist
for and on behalf of
Alexandra Palace Television Society
~~~~~~
web: www.apts.org.uk
         www.youtube.com/aptsarchive
mail: apts@apts.org.uk
~~~~~~
IP Logged

Mikej

Re: This Is The BBC - Uploaded to YouTube
Reply #1 - Apr 26th, 2011, 4:35pm

More good stuff!!

Aren't people odd though. Following on from watching this, it goes to a link to the "TV comes to Bradford" video.
I see a comment from someone asking for a perfectly good 4:3 frame to be re-rendered as 16:9
Just what is happening on some broadcast now so that one looses top/bottom. I guess they wouldn't even be happy with pillar box or 14:9
Whatever next? Re-rendering old videos to be in 3D?

Mike

IP Logged

Simon Vaughan- APTS Archivist

Derby, UK
Re: This Is The BBC - Uploaded to YouTube
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2011, 10:40pm

You would be surprised Mike at the things people say to some of the videos I post on our YouTube Channel!  

People seem to forget that we are a society - we don't have staff, a computer network, we don't have premises, we are not a charity, and have no funding!  We are a society of former BBC employees (myself being the exception), who have a passion in their career and want to ensure that future generations have an accurate and detailed history of how things were - not necessarily the official version - but how it actually was!

Sorry if that sounds like I'm sounding off, but we rely on donations and being able to generate a little income by making our archive available for researchers.  People don't realise this when they post comments on our YouTube channel.  Such as demands as wanting a re-rendering of 4:3 to 16:9. !

As with most archives, it is a passion!

Simon Vaughan
Archivist
for and on behalf of
Alexandra Palace Television Society
~~~~~~
web: www.apts.org.uk
         www.youtube.com/aptsarchive
mail: apts@apts.org.uk
~~~~~~
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1