Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wood Norton Pictures (Read 56624 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Wood Norton Pictures
Feb 20th, 2011, 10:31pm

A web-site has recently posted some pictures taken around Wood Norton Hall and its environs.

The pictures are here...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39746360@N06/5459290488/in/set-72157626088991102/

With an introduction here:-
http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=17878

This is posted out of interest.

Admin.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

F.M.

Re: Wood Norton Pictures
Reply #1 - Feb 21st, 2011, 6:39pm

Does the BBC still run courses there?
Some of it looks pretty run down.
I know that WN hall was sold to a hotelier but went bankrupt soon after leaving the BBC in the lurch with the plumbing and such.
Someone told me a number of years ago that there were portaloos situated outside the accomodation blocks.
What a shame the BBC had to sell.
I have Fond memories of the many courses I attended there. Cry

IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2011, 3:47pm

Thanks for giving us access to these pictures but what a depressing sight it now is.............whatever will become of this sad memorial to a great part of the BBC's history from wartime broadcasts to 'bunker' by way of the great age of the training of engineers..........thank goodness we have good memories of activities and friends made there.
I vividly recall TA 16 being the only engineers group to be allowed to put on a full production in the Gym Studio.........I was floor manager.
We had a chap from Belfast (ashamed to admit his name is lost in the mists) who built a proper vision mixer especially for the show. I recall him and a group setting off on a trolley at the top of the hill near the garrison sheds that were classrooms and as the thing got out of control as it passed the main building yelling 'opt out everybody' as they all leaped off.

IP Logged

Micro
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2011, 2:22pm

I also remember TA16 and was one of the cameramen on the "production" in the Phoenix.  If only we'd had VT then - it was a hoot.  I remember the presenter, Sir Brian Beau-Locks and a lot of school boy humour that would probably seem very childish today.  But we all enjoyed it, and most of us passed the exam too.

Was the NI chap with the vsion mixer Davey Dillon, who passed away a while back?  He was a great guy, spent some time in Libya too.  We were both there when Quadaffi came to power.  If I remember right, we all got good wishes from the (then) 2nd Lieutenant for our efforts with an OB unit when he made a speech at Benghazi University....

IP Logged

alanh
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:06pm

I was much later at WN (TA32) but I reckon you are correct re David Dillon.  I worked with David in Belfast VT for many years after his return from Libya.  I know he built a few more vision mixers!

IP Logged

Amigo

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2011, 11:35pm

IP Logged

Mikej

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2011, 10:40am

Ah memories!
Must have spent almost a year there on various courses (TA22 onwards). WN must have trained so so many people all over the UK (and the world - The chief engineer of Kenyan Broadcasting was on my C course - which would have been VERY useful to know when I was setting up an OB there).
One only has to look at the output now to see what is being missed!
So sad to see the piles of rubbish outside "A block" Common Room and in the pathway outside the Warden's Flat (Mr B D Oldman - and his doggie - it says in my "joining instructions" - still kept in the garage of course.
And the filled-in swimming pool (sorry Bear Pit)
Amigo's ones showing the old BBC Green bus bring back memories of returning late from (Reg's) BBC Club.

Who remembers sneaking in to look at this
http://www.bmanor.co.uk/pics/WN_Shower_3s.jpg
and where we trained
http://www.bmanor.co.uk/pics/WN_control_room.jpg
and how much it cost up per week to stay in "D" dorm sheds
http://www.bmanor.co.uk/pics/WN_receipt_2.jpg
to be paid at the cash office up the back stairs in the main building!
Someone posted this as well - Canteen used to be really busy once - with that "Special" room only for lecturers
http://www.bmanor.co.uk/pics/WN_Menu.jpg

Mike

IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2011, 11:22pm

Thanks Micro.......that's right Dave  Dillon...............sorry to hear he had passed away.
Do you remember anyone else on that course and the production.........and are any of the others from TA 16 in this Forum, John Hartshorn (sound),Alistair Cameron...I think directed, and other names.....Dennis  the Yorkshireman..........Pete Dunkley and Peter Dunkley,John King.......of Wimbledon fame,......................................

IP Logged

Russell W. Barnes
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2011, 10:41pm

There are a few of my pics of BBC ETD WN here - early 1980s.

IP Logged

Micro
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2011, 5:31pm

It almost sounds as if you are about to organise a TA16 reunion Roundabout!  Heaven forfend!

It would be good to hear from some of the chaps again though.  Pete Dunkley however died in a scuba accident some years ago.

Mustn't be morbid......  I'm sure there's lot if us still around

IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #10 - Feb 28th, 2011, 6:15am

Thanks Micro!
A re-union?.........heaven forbid!
Would you care to identify yourself ...as a TA16-er?

IP Logged

Micro
YaBB Newbies

Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2011, 6:45pm

Hi Roundabout.  No secrets  -  Andy Hughes.

And I wonder if you are P****  S******?

IP Logged

Roundabout

Reply #12 - Mar 3rd, 2011, 10:04pm

Well guessed! Pete it is.

IP Logged

Dickie Mint

Solihull, West Midlands
Reply #13 - Mar 5th, 2011, 4:55pm

alanh wrote on Feb 23rd, 2011, 10:06pm:
..I was much later at WN (TA32).......

Me Too!  Do you remember the exact starting date of TA32, Alan?  For some reason I had it fixed in my mind as 31st December 1968, but checking with the WN office last year their records said not!

Richard Taylor

Regards,
Richard

IP Logged

alanh
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - Mar 7th, 2011, 5:09pm

Richard, had a look at 1968 calendar. I would say you are a day out, assuming we started on a Monday it was 30th Dec 1968.  Cannot imagine how we put in New Year's Eve! Probably special canteen meal on New Years Day. The date is definitely correct but it does seem a strange starting date.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print