Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Radio OB Trucks (Read 13208 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

New Radio OB Trucks
Dec 8th, 2010, 5:58pm

A brief look into the latest Radio OB Vans may be found here:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2010/10/outside_broadcast_trucks_techn.ht...

The Administrator.

IP Logged

caro
YaBB Newbies

Re: New Radio OB Trucks
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2010, 11:55pm

Did I miss something?  How is it  that TV is so much cheaper and more efficient if the BBC sells off resources and hires what it needs, but Radio OBs are retained in-house?

IP Logged

double-vision

I Love YaBB 2!
Scotland
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2010, 1:30pm

Re the "general purpose vehicle" described. Soon rig a few monitors, a basic vision mixer and a "few" C.C.U.'s into that and you've the got a scanner of sorts again!

IP Logged

PGS4038
YaBB Newbies

Ariége, SW France
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2012, 5:22pm

I note that the UPS only works in the van. The stage boxes are locally powered.

IP Logged

Mikej

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2012, 11:34am

Why keep Radio OBs in house?
Because Radio production requires experience and quality in sound mixing which is often overlooked in TV sound in preference to the pictures and added excessive background music and Fx and requires properly trained (BBC trained?) staff who know the sound kit and understand about proper mic placing etc etc.
OK I know some TV OB Facilities companies employ Ex-BBC sound staff but they are disapearing off the scene, as we all get too old or get pushed out by ever cost concious employers, to be replaced by home trained "disc jockies" or pop group sound people.
Also there are at present very few (if probably none) outside companies who show any interest in providing such a service for radio.

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print