Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Windmill Road film library (Read 8220 times)
Mikej

Windmill Road film library
Oct 15th, 2010, 2:08pm

Went in today when passing (to pick up an Ariel as they aren't on line anymore)
All looking very sad as North Block closed and all windows painted out in black.
South Block seems to be almost empty and "Canteen" apparantly just doing tea/coffee now.

Everyone to have gone by new year so security tell me.

The closed building reminds me of how Kendal Avenue lookd just before it's demolition as the buildings were very similar.

Sob Sob - another iconic (?) BBC building gone

Mike

IP Logged

F.M.

Re: Windmill Road film library
Reply #1 - Oct 19th, 2010, 10:37am

It was a very busy place in the mid seventies when I had daily dealings requesting 16mm film and sepmag for the great and the good in BBC Scotland. On one occasion I had real trouble persuading the courier service to transport some nitrate film!!! When I think back at the amount of tin shuttling back and forth over the border it makes my head spin...
(or maybe thats just the medication....Nurse!!!)
I do agree ...It is sad when BBC buildings close/are sold on/get demolished.
If memory serves I do believe that film traffic was routed through Lime Grove. Sad

IP Logged

Mikej

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2011, 10:13pm

Went in again briefly on Friday.

Totally deserted now and just a guy loading old pallets and miscellaneous rubbish into a skip.
Obviously contractors in trashing all the old film storage areas and putting broken-down walls into skips.
Looking through windows of the South Block there are just odd bits of furniture left.
One security guard in reception who told me that someone had moved into one of the blocks for a while but, finding the place a total tip, had moved out after a month or so.
What's the betting that the whole estate will be demolished and housing built there - despite the building work at the new estate being built on the A4 just south by GSK having been abandoned for quite some months now.

Ah well another BBC place/history gone.
Have to say that it seems the new place at Perivale is far more "fit for purpose" (and convenient for Tesco)

IP Logged

Mikej

Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2011, 11:03pm

I don't know how many have been following the plans for the site but it was to be re-developed as several 8 story buildings (where the S block and car park were) with "townhouses" adjacent to the TAVR ground and behind the Windmill Road houses.
Well after a huge local campaign - centering on over-development/tall buildings/car access/lack of school and GP places, the developers have withdrawn their application. See here if you want more:-
http://www.ealingtoday.co.uk/default.asp?section=info&page=coneawindmill004....

Incidentally, from the Planning Application form, I received loads of maps of the site and it's previous histry from 1895ish to today with fascinating information on the original use of the buildings (including the Beldam tyre factory) and all the environmental hazard surveys - magic stuff

Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print