Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
George Gibbings (Read 3063 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

George Gibbings
Aug 24th, 2010, 9:03pm

George Gibbings was routinely praised for his hard work and consumate skill behind the camera.

My uncle, George Gibbings, who has died aged 90, worked as a cameraman on such well-loved TV programmes as Dixon of Dock Green, Z Cars, Doctor Who, The Forsyte Saga, The Good Life and Bergerac. Upon his retirement from the BBC in 1980, his sartorial trademark of a bow tie was described, in the BBC's house magazine Ariel, as being as famous in television circles as Robin Day's.

George was born off Holloway Road in north London. After leaving Archway county school he worked for Newman & Sinclair, the cine-camera makers, as a technician, alongside his brothers, Jim (my father) and Reg.

He served with the RAF during the second world war, married his wartime sweetheart, Rose Self, and then joined the BBC as a film camera mechanic, in 1954. He was in charge of film maintenance workshops at Ealing Studios from 1955 until 1957 and at Alexandra Palace until 1958.

George was highly regarded by his peers and was routinely praised for his hard work and consummate skill behind a camera – often by those who were fortunate enough to appear in front of it, such as Bob Hope. His work for the BBC took him around the world and included a 1968 film about Concorde.

Before George retired, his conscientiousness and enthusiasm were commended by the corporation's then director-general, Ian Trethowan. George was later recruited as a freelancer to help pioneer experiments in the televising of parliament. His generosity of spirit helped subsequent generations of film-makers to achieve greater things.

Rose died in 1982. After several weeks in hospital, George greeted his 90th birthday on 17 July, when we had a small bedside family party for him. He is survived by seven nephews, including myself.

By Les Gibbings

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/aug/24/george-gibbings-obituary

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print