Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Brian Deacon (Read 6066 times)
George Eykyn
YaBB Newbies

Brian Deacon
Apr 8th, 2009, 5:48pm

I'm very sorry to tell you that Brian Deacon died in hospital yesterday (Tues 7th April), following a brief illness.

Brian's long and varied broadcasting career involved reporting for the Today Programme, The World Tonight, and Newsbeat (among others). He also reported for regional television news programmes, served as news editor at Radio Oxford, and co-ordinated BBC coverage during countless Newsorg and FDE shifts. Before broadcasting, he had worked as a civil servant in Whitehall.

After Brian left BBC staff and began freelancing, he once joked that there were usually only 7 hours between walking through his front door after one shift and setting out for the next. With his wife Jenny, he had established a successful media management agency, JB Media Management, offering communications training to clients around the world. He lived in Bedfordshire.

Many of us turned to Brian for a wise and grounded perspective on the vagaries of BBC politics and editorial ups and downs. He was fun, and generous with his time and advice -- helping numerous aspirants (including me) along the road to the Beeb that he loved.

Funeral details are yet to be announced. I'll post again when I know. Anyone wanting to write to Jenny is welcome to email me for the address:  geykyn@btopenworld.com.

IP Logged

Bob_Eggington
Ex Member

Re: Brian Deacon
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2009, 2:42pm

I'm very sorry to hear this.  Brian was a good bloke.  Much too young to go.

IP Logged

George Eykyn
YaBB Newbies

Re: Brian Deacon
Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2009, 9:05am

Brian's funeral will be at Sharnbrook Methodist Church, Park Lane, Sharnbrook MK44 1LS on Weds 22nd April at 2.30pm.

Flowers from close family only. For those who wish to, donations in Brian's memory may be made via the undertakers, payable to Sharnbrook Methodist Church. The address is:
A.Abbott & Sons (Funeral Directors)
Bedford Rd
Rushden
NN10 0LZ

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print