Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Robin Harris (Read 7481 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Robin Harris
Feb 5th, 2009, 6:09pm

Robin Harris, who was in charge of current affairs in Northern Ireland and also Head of Radio Ulster, has died.  After leaving the BBC he had become a minister in the Church of Ireland.  

His funeral was held on January 30th.  The tribute came from his lifelong friend, George Hamilton:

"Robin was my best friend and I was his. And although there were many similarities which held us together, religion, I’m afraid, was not one of them. He always jokingly referred to me as his “pagan friend”, and told me that I would be surprised how often I cropped up in his sermons….

An odd couple, indeed, but with a relationship glued together by trust and openness and humour.

I first got to know Robin when we worked together in the Belfast Telegraph reporters room. Those were the days when typewriters were king, you could still get a story into the paper at four in the afternoon and the pages were produced using a hot metal process…

Around 1968 he left for broadcasting and I went into the government press office…Then about 12 or 13 years ago we met up again and the relationship resumed…We met very Saturday at 10 am in Bell’s coffee shop [and developed] a very deep and quite precious friendship and affection.

And while religion was not an agenda item, he did contend that he became a minister because of me…He reminded me that early on in our renewed relationship, he had been discussing with me his doubts about his ability to cope with the considerable academic demands in becoming a minister…I had told him that if he really, really wanted to do it, why didn’t he just get on with it, and stop agonizing…I blush now to think of my assertiveness…

From other oblique things he said I had the clear feeling that he thought that at some some time I would look again at religion. He may well be right…for how he coped with his time in hospital was a clear, powerful, an very moving demonstration of the power of faith, and overwhelmingly enough to make even a pagan re-think.

On the afternoon of his last day…he said he was not angry, and neither was he in despair. He had looked back on his life and had concluded that he had been very lucky. He had done what he wanted to do in terms of his career, the church, and all the other organisations with which he had been associated. He had been blessed with a marvellous wife and wonderful children.

And, typical of the man, he added: “I’m now in God’s waiting room”, adding with a little smile, “it’s just maybe 15 or 20 years sooner than I thought”.

Robin Harris was my best friend, a good man, a man for all seasons. I am, and will for ever, miss him. And today I am heartbroken.”

More information about Robin can be found on Graham McKenzie's site The Copyboys.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print