Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alice Capon (Read 5127 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Alice Capon
Feb 5th, 2008, 8:45pm

Alice Capon, a stalwart of Personnel at Broadcasting House, has died.  She was 88.  She joined the BBC in 1946 and retired in 1981.  Before joining Personnel she was Telediphone Supervisor at BH.

Her funeral will be at Thanet Crematoriam, Manston Road, Margate on 18th February 2008 at 12.00.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Alice Capon
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2008, 8:13pm

Colleagues of Alice have sent the following comments:

"Alice was held in high regard by those in Radio News as someone who was sympathetic to their requirements and would move heaven and earth to facilitate their needs. She was a strong personality but kind and generous in spirit."

"She was very approachable and efficient, but stood no nonsense, particularly from reporters. She was, one might say, easily heard in a crowded room. She had a large metal cupboard in her office, on the door of which hung a large selection of stopwatches which she handed out to those who qualified, with dire warnings about loss or damage."

"When I joined the BBC Alice was superviser of the Telediphone Unit (which transcribed correspondents' despatches and reporters' pieces) and  was noted for her penetrating tones.  She became better-known to news people when she moved to personnel and became a guardian of the stop watches (I still have mine).  "

The Administrator.

IP Logged

TAustin
Ex Member

Alice Capon
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2008, 9:37am

Clive Lewis Barclay and I are going to pull together an Obit for Alice for Prospero. Any anecdotes, and permission to attribute any comments, would be welcome.

Alice's heart was huge. She fought passionately for her colleagues often without them realising. Since her retirement she has been a regular at the Radio News personnel annual reunion, never without a story of her latest battle for those less well off than her and always with a zest for life that made one question her real "age".

Tony Austin
ant@bifrost2.demon.co.uk

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print