Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Andy Roberts (Read 10897 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Andy Roberts
Nov 22nd, 2005, 4:16pm

Andy Roberts, a producer in the newsroom at Television Centre, died after a road accident outside the office.

It's understood he had just got out of a taxi on Sunday evening, November 20 2005, when the accident happened.  He died in hospital today, Tuesday November 22.

Andy Roberts had worked at BBC Radio Birmingham as a news producer before becoming a reporter, then a news correspondent, in radio.

He leaves a wife, Jane, and son, Toby.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Andy Roberts
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2005, 4:34pm

This brief report appeared in the Evening Standard on November 24:

BBC producer killed in collision

A Radio 5 Live producer has died after being knocked down by a motorcycle as he crossed Wood Lane in west London to get to BBC Television Centre.  Andrew Roberts, 57, was hit at about 9pm on Sunday and died two days later in Charing Cross Hospital.  He was married and had a 14 year-old son.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2005, 9:37am

This tribute appeared in Newsupdate, the internal newsletter for BBC News staff:

One of the Radio Newsroom's most experienced producers, Andy Roberts, has died after a road accident outside Television Centre.  Andy had worked in the Radio Newsroom for many years delivering material for bulletins and summaries on all Radio Networks.  Before that he had enjoyed a distinguished on-air career as a reporter, both at home and abroad.  

Andy’s current boss, Newsroom Editor, Richard Clark, paid this tribute:

“Appearances can be deceptive.  At first glance, Andy was quiet, reserved, detached.  He was certainly self-contained, maybe a little singular.  He was, however, a journalist down to his socks… and one who had an undiminished interest in what was happening in the world.  When editing the R4 1800 one came to expect Andy  at the desk, copy in hand, quietly pressing for a story to be included in the bulletin.  I suspect his first love was reporting but as a newsroom producer he had a shrewd understanding of what stories worked for our audiences.”

Former colleague, Peter Gallimore, now Head of Press and PR at the University of Derby, worked with Andy on Today:

"I was much saddened to hear of the untimely death of Andy. He was a man I'd worked with on Today - when pool reporters came to do their stint and I was assistant editor there. My memories of him are as a consistently good writer and broadcaster, with a dark toned voice which belied his tall yet spare frame. He was a good humoured and knowledgeable colleague whose working experience in local radio in the Midlands stood him in good stead when he made the transition to the network. When Andy was forced to work in TV as part of John Birt's failed bi-media experiment he became a much more reserved person who began to question his own worth to the Corporation. Luckily for the BBC and some more enlightened members of management Andy stayed on and his writing experience became a much valued part of the newsroom. His laconic humour and all round ability made him a unique colleague in a world which is very short of impressive characters. Andy certainly belonged to that category.”

His words were echoed by News correspondent Bob Sinkinson:

"Andy was what many journalists aspire to but rarely achieve.  He was relentlessly dedicated to uncovering the truth, unswerving in his determination to be accurate, punctilious about the use of the English language but at the same time had a dry sense of humour that could put the pompous in their place and lighten the most boring of topics.  He was one of those people that the BBC could rely on for the right touch whether it be the written or spoken word.  He'll be fondly remembered by his many colleagues for his dedication to radio journalism, a medium which he loved.  Andy was never someone you took for granted and was a  bedrock to those who worked alongside him.”

World Affairs Correspondent Mike Wooldridge had this to say:

"I was immensely sad to hear of Andy's terrible accident and death. I go back a long way with him, and first worked with him covering tension and trouble on the streets of Birmingham. I could not have been alongside a finer, calmer and more effective fellow reporter on that day -- or in other capacities since then. To say that Andy never appeared fazed is an understatement. He dispensed wisdom, advice, fine judgement and gentle cajoling of correspondents just when they were needed, and he was a craftsman in the production of news. During all too brief chats with him in the newsroom or on his way to or from the tea bar he always had some wonderfully laconic observation about the world and its ways…or just possibly about the BBC. Andy's death is a real loss to the spirit of an organisation to which he had given so much."

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2005, 10:09am

This email has been sent to Andy's colleagues in the newsroom:

Andy's funeral will at 2 p.m. on Tuesday, December 6th, at Islington Crematorium, High Road, East Finchley.  It will be followed immediately afterwards by a wake (details to follow but likely to be at the local cricket club).  Andy's wife, Jane, and son Toby would like his friends and colleagues to attend.  It would be useful to them to know about numbers so can you please let  Christine Hewstone (christine.hewstone@bbc.co.uk) know if you will be going.  Can you please pass on this information to those who you think would like to know.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print