Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Edgar Brennan (Read 8735 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Edgar Brennan
May 14th, 2004, 7:53pm

(Note amended details of funeral)

Edgar Brennan, for many years a journalist in the World Service newsroom, has died at the age of 80.  The funeral will take place at the church of St John the
Evangelist at the junction of Auckland Road and Sylvan Rd, Upper Norwood  SE19 on 24 May at 3 pm.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2004, 1:29pm by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Edgar Brennan
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2004, 9:47am

Edgar Brennan, one of the (numerous) great characters of the Bush House newsroom for many years, has died at the age of 80.

An Irishman with a great love of the English language, he is remembered as a stylist and a dedicated servant to the “old” BBC.

He believed in carefully chosen words and simple sentence construction, not least because radio reception in most parts of the world at that time was generally poor.  Clarity of meaning was essential.

Anyone who fell short of his standards could expect to be challenged.  As one colleague recalls:  “Edgar would pursue a point relentlessly, and not necessarily with great tact, until it was resolved to his satisfaction.”

He had a goonish sense of humour.  As another colleague put it:  “How many imitations of a 1945 Dublin tram can you handle on a dawn shift?”

The funeral will take place at the church of St John the
Evangelist at the junction of Auckland Road and Sylvan Rd Upper Norwood  SE19 on 24 May at 3 pm.
« Last Edit: May 18th, 2004, 1:30pm by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2004, 9:15am

Several correspondents have recalled Edgar's habit of leaping onto his desk.  This could be to deliver a "sermon" on some issue, recite poetry, conduct an imaginary orchestra or simply to answer the telephone.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

John_Roberts
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2004, 9:59pm

I remember Edgar Brennan from the Broadcasting House newsroom in the years between 1964 and 67.  As a raw,young (25 years old) rather pompous and inexperienced-in-life man (Home Service newsreader) I found his, to me, strange sense of humour rather frightening.  It seemed almost manic. His eyes glistened with impish delight. He teased me unmercifully.  I seem to recall him wearing rough, dark grey, three piece tweed suits. His dark hair seemed like an untrimmed  bush on his head. With age and in restrospect, I see him as a friendly, delightful,  kindly man with a first class mind, high standards and a unique approach to life. I am sorry that in the intervening years I had not the privilege of knowing him better.  May he rest in peace.   I only saw his obit today 23 May and only wish I'd seen it sooner - I would have gone to his funeral.    

PS: I am not sure how the "star" sytem works and seem to have only given Edgar one star; it should have been 5+.      
« Last Edit: Jun 5th, 2004, 8:34am by John_R »  

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2004, 9:59pm

One famous Edgar incident involved the breaking news of the death of Elvis Presley.  The story he wrote is said to have gone thus:

"The death has occurred in the United States of the popular singer, Elvis Presley. He was 42. Presley rose to fame in the 1950s with a combination of elementary guitar playing and physical gyrations that earned him the nickname 'Elvis the Pelvis'."

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print