Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
John Watson (Read 5936 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

John Watson
Feb 27th, 2004, 5:59pm

This obituary on John Watson appered in Ariel on February 24, written by Andy Whysall:

I emailed a friend and former colleague to tell him that our old manager from Radio Cleveland days. John Watson, had died.  In reply my friend briefly discussed the characteristics we have all found in some managers.  But John, my friend was glad to point out, was none of these things.
John Watson was a thoroughly decent and honourable man with a good humour that made him a complete pleasure to work with.  He was a journalist, starting his career at the Hartlepool Mail.  He was manager at Radio Cleveland through most of the 1980s and retired in 1998 as manager of Radio Cumbria.
He was always the keen sportsman.  It was he who set up a great goal when Cleveland took on Radio 1 at Ayresome Park all those years ago.
He never really gave up working.  The first thing he did on leaving the BBC was to get to work on the epic Century Speaks project for Cumbria.  His recordings are now there for all to hear in the British Library sound archive.  Then he became the Cumbria area manager for the 2001 Census and was back on the radio in that role.
He leaves a wife, Pam, and two grown-up children.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Bob_Eggington
Ex Member

Re: John Watson
Reply #1 - Feb 27th, 2004, 6:07pm

John was a smashing bloke.
I don't know if he went straight from the Hartlepool Mail to Ortons of Leicester, but he was certainly there when Roly Orton's agency had the contract to supply the news for Radio Leicester.  This was in those very early days before local radio stations had their own newsroom staff.
Radio Leicester hired him from Ortons as one of their original newsroom team, in 1970 I think it would be.
I believe he became News Editor of Radio Newcastle and Programme Organiser of Radio Derby before going on to the management jobs Andy has mentioned.

IP Logged

Joe_Paley
Ex Member

Re: John Watson
Reply #2 - Mar 3rd, 2004, 9:32pm

John was my news editor at Radio Newcastle in the mid seventies - he was a very kind bloke and steady as a rock. It seems so long ago now, but I'm very sorry to learn of John's death.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print