Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hutton - round-up (Read 8415 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Hutton - round-up
Jan 28th, 2004, 3:10pm

Here are the major points of Lord Hutton's report:

ON DR KELLY'S DEATH

# Dr Kelly took his own life and no third party was involved

# No-one involved could have contemplated that Dr Kelly would take his own life as a result of the pressures he felt

# Dr Kelly was not an easy man to help or to whom to give advice

# Can not be certain of factors that drove Dr Kelly to suicide

# Dr Kelly probably killed himself because of extreme loss of self-esteem and would have seen himself as being publicly disgraced

# Dr Kelly would have felt his job was at risk and that his life's work could be undermined

ON ANDREW GILLIGAN'S REPORT

# Andrew Gilligan's report that Downing Street "probably knew" the 45-minute claim in its Iraq dossier was wrong was a grave allegation and attacked the integrity of the government and the Joint Intelligence Committee (JIC)

# The 45-minute claim in the Iraq dossier was based on a report received by the intelligence services that they believed to be reliable

# Whether or not that source was subsequently shown to be unreliable, the central allegation made by Andrew Gilligan in his BBC report was unfounded

# The allegation that the reason the claim was not in the original draft of the dossier was because it was only from one source and the intelligence service did not believe it to be true, was also unfounded

# It is not possible to reach a definite conclusion as to what Dr Kelly said to Mr Gilligan

# Satisfied Dr Kelly did not say to Mr Gilligan that the government knew the 45-minute claim was wrong or that intelligence agencies did not believe it was necessarily true

ON THE BBC

# Editorial system at BBC was defective in allowing Mr Gilligan's report to go to air without editors seeing a script

# BBC management failed to make an examination of Mr Gilligan's notes of the interview with Dr Kelly

# There was a defect in the BBC's management system relating to the way complaints were investigated

# BBC governors failed to investigate Mr Gilligan's actions properly

ON THE PREPARATION OF THE DOSSIER

# The Prime Minister's desire to have as compelling a dossier as possible may have subconsciously influenced the JIC to make the language of the dossier stronger than they would otherwise have done

# The JIC and its chairman, John Scarlett, were concerned to ensure that the contents of the dossier were consistent with the intelligence available to the JIC

# The dossier could be said to be "sexed up" if this term is taken to mean it was drafted to make the case against Saddam as strong as intelligence permitted

# But in the context of Mr Gilligan's report, "sexed up" would be understood to mean the dossier was embellished with items of intelligence known or believed to be false or unreliable. This allegation is unfounded

ON THE NAMING OF DR KELLY

# There was no underhand government strategy to name Dr Kelly

# It was necessary to have Dr Kelly before the foreign affairs committee

# If details that a civil servant had come forward to volunteer he had met Mr Gilligan had been withheld, the government would have been accused of a cover-up

# The Government's belief that Dr Kelly's name was bound to come out was well founded

# MoD did take some steps to help Dr Kelly once his name was made public

# The MoD was at fault in the way it dealt with Dr Kelly once his name was made public

# MoD failed to tell Dr Kelly his name would be made public

# Dr Kelly's exposure to press interest was only one of the issues putting him under stress

OTHER ISSUES

# The publishing of leaked extracts of the report in the Sun newspaper was deplorable

# Investigative and legal action is being considered over the leak

# Final submissions to the inquiry from parties involved are being made public
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2004, 8:19pm by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

david_france
Ex Member

Re: Hutton - the main points
Reply #1 - Jan 28th, 2004, 4:39pm

I would like to think every ex BBC journalist reading this would want to express a view. Sadly it seems this otherwise very useful chatroom is going quickly mute. For myself after two and a half hours of gripping television listening to Lord Hutton and the Commons statements I am not surprised by one word of the criticisms of the BBC. If the arrogant Today programme were to be scrapped as a result of this I would not shed a tear.  It is time for a change. It is far too late to hope for a return to former values. Let us have a complete re-think about what the BBC is and stands for in this brave new world. And, please Lord, give Mr (Dumb-down)Dyke a good send-off!

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #2 - Jan 28th, 2004, 5:17pm

The BBC issued this statement before the news of chairman Gavyn Davies's resignation:

The Hutton Inquiry - BBC statement

Dr Kelly's death was a tragedy for his family and, again, we offer our sincere condolences to them.

We note Lord Hutton's criticisms of the BBC. Many of these relate to mistakes which the BBC has already acknowledged in its submissions to the Inquiry and for which we have already expressed regret.

Thanks to the process of Lord Hutton's Inquiry we now know more about the evolution of the September dossier. The BBC does accept that certain key allegations reported by Andrew Gilligan on the Today programme on May 29 last year were wrong and we apologise for them.

However, we would point out again that at no stage in the last eight months have we accused the Prime Minister of lying and have said this publicly on several occasions.

The dossier raised issues of great public interest. Dr Kelly was a credible source. Provided his allegations were reported accurately, the public in a modern democracy had a right to be made aware of them. The greater part of the BBC's coverage of the dossier fulfilled this purpose.

We've already taken steps to improve our procedures. A new Complaints and Compliance structure has been put in place, under the Deputy Director-General. We have a new set of rules for BBC journalists who wish to write for newspapers or magazines and we will be publishing revised editorial guidelines.

There are other findings in the Report, including those about the dossier, which we will consider carefully.

The BBC Governors will be meeting formally tomorrow and will give further consideration to Lord Hutton's Report. No further comment will be made until after that meeting.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #3 - Jan 28th, 2004, 5:23pm

Journalists were told in off the record briefings  late on Wednesday afternoon that Gavyn Davies would resign as Chairman of Governors.

It is understood he will tell his fellow Governors over an informal dinner and announce his resignation tomorrow (Thursday 29th) at their formal meeting.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Hutton - BBC carries the can
Reply #4 - Jan 28th, 2004, 6:01pm

The BBC Chairman issued the following statement after seeing the rest of the Governors:

The Hutton Report - statement from Gavyn Davies

At the beginning of the BBC Governors' meeting at 5.00pm today, BBC Chairman Mr Gavyn Davies told his fellow Governors:

"I have been brought up to believe that you cannot choose your own referee, and that the referee's decision is final.

"There is an honourable tradition in British public life that those charged with authority at the top of an organisation should accept responsibility for what happens in that organisation.

"I am therefore writing to the Prime Minister today to tender my resignation as Chairman of the BBC, with immediate effect."

The Governors accepted the Chairman's decision with great reluctance and regret.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Reply #5 - Jan 28th, 2004, 8:15pm

Later Gavyn Davies issued a longer statement:

When I became Chairman of the BBC in 2001, I said that this appointment was the greatest privilege of my professional life. It will remain so.

The BBC is the finest entity in world broadcasting. It has a deep regard for the truth. It is trusted and respected by hundreds of millions of people worldwide.

It is staffed by thousands of programme makers instilled with the values of public service. They must let themselves feel no shame about the Hutton Report. No-one at the BBC in the past year has deliberately misled the public, and no-one has acted out of malign motivation.

The BBC is not owned by any government, but is held in perpetuity by its Governors and management for the British people.

The public should not take its existence entirely for granted. It is frequently under attack, both from competitors, and from others who do not share or understand its principles. Its friends are too often silent when it is under threat.

In the Charter debate now underway, the massive silent majority which loves the BBC needs more often to make its voice heard. Otherwise its future may not be secure.

The Governors and Executive of the BBC are put there to serve the British public and no-one else. They are able to do this because the constitution of the BBC makes its governance independent of any political or commercial interest, and because the licence fee ensures secure funding for five years at a stretch.

If these twin pillars are undermined, the whole edifice could come tumbling down. On these twin pillars rests the independence of the BBC from political influence, and on that rests the trust that it wins from the British public.

Because the BBC is so widely trusted, it is crucial that its Chairman should take personal responsibility for ensuring that the highest standards of accuracy and impartiality are maintained in its news output.

Licence payers cannot maintain their trust in the output of the BBC unless they can have confidence in its leadership.

The Hutton Report will undermine that confidence. Lord Hutton has concluded that much of Andrew Gilligan's report on weapons of mass destruction was wrong. He has said that the BBC's editorial and managerial processes were flawed.

If true, these would be serious failings. Many of the Hutton criticisms of BBC managerial procedures were accepted by the BBC during the Inquiry. We have now taken steps to remedy them.

More serious still, Lord Hutton has criticised the actions of the Governors. He has, in mitigation, recognised that the Governors found themselves in a difficult position last July, not least because they faced an intemperate attack from Mr Campbell, which undoubtedly scrambled our radar screens at the top of the BBC.

Lord Hutton has said that the Governors were right to defend the BBC's independence in the face of Mr Campbell's charge that the organisation's war coverage was biased.

Importantly, his Lordship has not suggested that the governance of the BBC has systemic defects which need to be remedied. Critics of the system should take careful note of this.

But he has concluded that in the highly unusual circumstances of last summer, the Governors should have conducted their own investigation of Mr Campbell's complaints, on top of that which had been conducted by management.

I wish we had asked for such a special investigation last summer. Although I doubt whether this would in practice have made much difference to the course of the tragic events which were then unfolding (since a decisive verdict could not have been reached without seeing the successive drafts of the dossier), even an inconclusive inquiry would have protected the Governors from subsequent attack.

In my evidence to the Inquiry, I said that the Chairman should accept ultimate responsibility for everything the BBC does. That is even more true of the actions of the Board of Governors than it is of the rest of the organisation. I am happy to accept that ultimate responsibility.

So it is unavoidable that Lord Hutton's report, which was prepared with diligence and care, has created a new situation which needs to be addressed. But before coming to that, I wish to raise some important questions about the report itself.

First, is it clearly possible to reconcile Lord Hutton's bald conclusions on the production of the September 2002 dossier with the balance of evidence that was presented to him during his own Inquiry?

Second, did his verdict on Mr Gilligan's reports take sufficient account of what was said by Dr Kelly on tape to Susan Watts?

Third, did his criticisms of the BBC take sufficient account of the extenuating circumstances which were created by the public attacks on the BBC during and after the war?

Finally, are his conclusions on restricting the use of unverifiable sources in British journalism based on sound law and, if applied, would they constitute a threat to the freedom of the press in this country?

I am sure that these questions will be widely debated.

But, whatever the outcome, I have been brought up to believe that you cannot choose your own referee, and that the referee's decision is final.

There is an honourable tradition in British public life that those charged with authority at the top of an organisation should accept responsibility for what happens in that organisation.

I am therefore writing to the Prime Minister today to tender my resignation as Chairman of the BBC, with immediate effect.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Hutton - miscellaneous reaction
Reply #6 - Jan 28th, 2004, 8:18pm

A former news executive and Controller of Editorial Policy at the BBC has described Gavyn Davies's statement as "spectacularly self-serving".  Read the Guardian report here.

The NUJ says Hutton's findings are a threat to journalism.  Read the NUJ Press Release here.

Andrew Gilligan has issued a statement describing the Hutton Report as "grossly one-sided".  Reed the Guardian report here.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print