Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Chris Cox (Read 4431 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Chris Cox
Jan 13th, 2004, 9:48am

Chris Cox, a former Studio Manager in London, has died.
Funeral details: Wednesday January 14, at St.Michael's, Highgate, 1500. Then the Old Crown pub, 90, Highgate Hill. Drinks, buffet and some  musical entertainment and no sombre clothing required, as per Chris' wishes. Contributions to St. John's Hospice through the undertakers, Leverton & Son, 212, Eversholt St, NW1 1BD.

A colleague of Chris's recalls:

"I remember Chris as being thoroughly laid back, with a down to earth view on the whole broadcasting business, and always a pleasure to work with.  He was a good storyteller, and always highly entertained by how ridiculously seriously some people, particularly production staff, seemed to take things.  Naturally courteous, the one thing which riled him was unnecessary discourtesy and impatience.

"Chris left the BBC to work with Oliver Scott in a freelance company called Vox Communications.  When that eventually stopped, he worked freelance shifts, mainly, I think, at Bush"

A picture of Chris on a training course in 1979 can be seen on the former SMs web site.
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2004, 11:36am by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Chris Cox
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2004, 7:43pm

This obituary on Chris, written by Stephen Dalziel, appeared in Ariel, on January 13:

Friends and colleagues will be deeply saddened to learn that Chris died on January 3 in St John's Hospice, St John's Wood.  He was a well known and popular figure at Bush House and Broadcasting House, having worked as a studio manager in both.  He was always generous of spirit and showed fantastic loyalty to his friends.
He was loyal too, to one of the great passions of his life:  Arsenal FC, even if as a fellow fan I was always delighted if Chris predicted that we'd lose; usually it meant we'd win.  His predictions were rather better at another of his favourite places, the racecourse.  He stuck firmly to the racing superstition that a woman visiting a racecourse for the first time will always pick a winner.  I followed this advice on a trip organised by Chris for Bush colleagues to his favourite course, Windsor.  He was right - and I won £56 for a £2 stake.
Four years ago Chris had part of his voice box removed after he'd contracted a rare form of throat cancer.  He was told he'd have to learn to speak all over again but the doctors had reckoned without his training as a choirboy.  I remember congratulating him a few months later when I'd heard him doing a voiceover in a radio package.
Sadly when the cancer reappeared last year he was unable to beat it.  But he was realistic about it.  He left the BBC because he "didn't want to die in a studio".  Chris had an active summer before the cancer began to take a grip in the Autumn.  He spent a couple of spells in the wonderful care of the hospice.  His friends and former BBC colleagues ensured that his room had the best-stocked bar in the area.
Even as he was going downhill, Chris managed to keep his sense of humour.  He's greatly missed by many.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print