Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Linda Binnington (Read 7342 times)
Bob_Eggington
Ex Member

Linda Binnington
Nov 3rd, 2002, 12:47pm

Eileen Mullen, Chairman of The Bushmen, writes:

Linda Binnington has sadly and finally lost her battle with cancer. She died on Friday, November 1.
Linda became a Bushman after the famous cricket tour to Kerala in 1998 -  and even supported the team on occasion in the UK.  
She was the driving force behind the recent tour to the Dordogne, accommodating some of the party in her amazing barn-like gite and arranging facilities for everyone else.  It was all done with her natural charm and efficiency, without any fuss.
It was very clear in France that she was having to conserve her energy. She did that too with great skill and even ensured that she was present at some of the cricket in addition to the social events which she had helped to make happen.
The sense of loss which her great friend Laurence Gretton, his brother Francis and her latest 'neighbour' in France, Mark Jones, must feel, is impossible to quantify.  
Linda had tremendous determination and energy and only made essential concessions to her condition.

She was a terrific lady.

I hope that other Bushmen will add their memories and tributes.

Any letters should go to her brother, Anthony Binnington at 56, Compton Road, London N1 2PB

It is a very sad day.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Linda Binnington
Reply #1 - Nov 3rd, 2002, 7:56pm

Michael Kaye adds this tribute:

Linda has always seemed to be part of our lives.  But given the fact that we already knew about the cancer and her two year life sentence, Linda must have been a phenomenon of the last six years.

It was soon clear to me that this lady was not to be considered an object of pity - as an invalid, morbidly ticking off the seconds of a dwindling existence - but as a force of nature.  She was forever organising - usually other people, always for their greater good. I will pass over the many visits to the Tower Theatre which she planned whenever I was involved in any capacity.  After the show the gang would gather in some Islington restaurant for the celebration - even when the play was a palpable dud.  For Linda it was enough that a friend was involved, the grit to produce the pearl of a friends' reunion, good food, good chat and laughter - always lots of laughter.

Many of us will have enjoyed her hospitality or her support. (How typical of her generosity to devote so much of her precious time to watching the most tedious of all spectator sports.)  

But my most precious memory is of Linda and her dance instructor Leroy dancing at her sixty fifth party. After her stunning demonstration of how the Argentine tango should be performed, Linda made sure we all joined her on the dance floor to give evidence of our own efforts to learn the dance. Poor Laurence, who had also taken tango lessons (and learned very well, as we witnessed) was confined to the sidelines and the video camera.  His loss is our gain.  The video will bring a virtual Linda back, at least.

Alastair Lack informed us of Linda's death by phone. Later that day Anne turned to me and said "Why don't we go back to that dancing school and take another day's instruction?"  I can't think of a better tribute to Linda's memory.

Anne Theroux adds this tribute:

Even though I have known since the Kerala trip, five years ago, that Linda was fighting  cancer, I feel shocked as well as saddened by her death. She was so heroic that I had almost come to believe she had won the battle.
I first got to know her in a completely different area of my life. When I trained as a couples' counsellor in the early nineties, Linda was an inspiring lecturer and seminar leader, introducing me to key psychoanalytic concepts and demonstrating how they affected relationships. She was intellectually rigorous and totally engaged in the work - an eminent person in the field of psychotherapy.
Then I discovered we had friends in common: the Lacks, Laurence Gretton (she arranged an exhibition of his paintings) and that she was a supporter of the Bushmen, planning to tour with them in Kerala.
Over the past five years I have shared many happy times with Linda, most of them organized by her. Her energy seemed endless.  She supported artists, writers and performers - including cricketers. She  made us learn to dance  the tango.
When we first met she was my teacher, then she became my friend - but right to the end (though she may not have known it) I continued to learn from her.

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print