Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pensions Warning (Read 6626 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Pensions Warning
Sep 11th, 2002, 8:40am

Today's Guardian has a story suggesting BBC staff will soon have to pay more in pension contributions.  No mention of the employer contribution, but presumably that too will have to rise.
Read the story.
This follows a report to Pensioners this week from the chairman of the trustees, Roger Jones.  It has a fairly positive tone.  The value of the scheme fell by less than £300m last year, it has well over £6bn in assets and is at present able to meet all its obligations.
You can comment on this by clicking on "Reply" below.
« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2002, 10:39pm by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

mikatherton
Ex Member

Re: Pensions Warning
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2003, 11:54am

I cannot understand why the Pension Fund has not switched out of equity holdings and into bonds as the Boots scheme did over a year ago.
Equitable Life With profits fund was forced to do the same and has just returned its best performance for 5 years.
Other funds have reduced share holdings from about 80% to 40% (Phillips) and have beaten their bench mark by a wide margin. pensioners also enjoyed a 2% increase in pension compared to our sub 1%.
Would be interested in your comments?

IP Logged

dusticus
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2003, 5:22pm

I see no reason why staff should not pay more,and the
B.B.C. some time ago they had a reduction in what they
paid in which to them was like having a increase in salary,and the B.B.C. themselves a holiday,not paying in
nothing,so perhaps if they did so, we the retired staff
who never had a reduction,and paid in our full percentage, could get more than 2.9% in 2004.
                                                             Dusty Miller.

IP Logged

Dave
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2003, 6:51pm

I see no reason why present staff should not pay a larger contribution to the pension fund.
I think I'm right in saying that I was originally paying my contributions at 7.5%, having opted for the larger rate on joining the scheme. The lower rate was I believe 5%

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print