Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
BBC history (Read 3849 times)
Aub_McKibben
Ex Member

BBC history
Sep 6th, 2002, 8:18pm

Greetings from Tropical North Queensland Australia!

Whilst 'searching' the web I came across some history of Brookman's Park Transmitting Station' written by Lilian Caras. click here

Lilian needs congratulated on a thoroughly researched job!

I moved to Australia as a young boy with my parents in 1961 and have
remained interested in researching 'BBC Lisnagarvey' which was also part of the 'Regional Scheme and located to this day outside Lisburn Northern
Ireland)

The station left quite an impression on this 'young boy's'
mind'.

The 'Regional Scheme' certainly was an ambitious piece of planning!

Engineering excellence came first and expense last it would appear.

The mind set of Eckersley and Reith are something to ponder in this 'plug and play/throw' away age we live in.

It would appear that Reith, in particular, saw leadership of the BBC as  no less than part of his 'calling' in life.

I wonder how they would react were they to behold modern material to be broadcast on their transmitters?

With Reith's apparently staunch 'Calvinistic' background he would think we have 'rightly gone to the devil!'

...back to the subject:
...the opening ceremony for BBC Lisnagarvey was held at the actual transmitter (incomprehensive in this age) and attended by various dignitaries including Sir (later 'Lord') Reith of BBC fame, A.C. Norman, chairman of the BBC, G.L. Marshall, regional director and the Moderator of the Church of Ireland Lord Craigavon...a rather overpowering ceremony for the opening of a broadcast transmitter!!! but as an ex BBC engineer suggested ' it must be borne in mind the political significance of Northern Ireland'.

Regards, Aubrey McKibben
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2002, 5:34am by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print