Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Party time for GNS (Read 8828 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Party time for GNS
Apr 22nd, 2002, 9:28pm

GNS had a rare moment in the spotlight when a party was held in the Council Chamber at BH to mark the 30th anniversary of the local radio service.  The large turnout included the DG, Greg Dyke.

In a video, John Williams pointed out that the floor space GNS used to occupy on the 3rd floor is now the DG's office.  He also recalled the time when GNS teleprinter operators used to save time by urinating out of the window onto the heads of passers-by.

Alan Ashton, who was Editor of GNS 30 years ago, read the roll-call of its first three reporters:  Ray Gowdridge, Richard Lucas and Mike Hollingsworth. Other reporters from later eras contributed their reminisences on video.  Jonathan Charles sent a contribution from Afghanistan - but somehow also contrived to be at the party.

Dave Dunford, the current Editor of GNS, looked forward to the move back to BH in a few years time.  Pat Loughrey, Head of Nations and Regions, said Greg Dyke had reversed the long pattern of disinvestment in local radio, and GNS was one of its mainstays.  Without it, regional broadcasting could not stay on the air.

The party was organised by Ruth Peacock, current head of the local radio service.
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2002, 7:53am by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Alan_Ashton
Ex Member

Re: Party time for GNS
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2002, 9:37am

I hate to correct my old colleague and friend John Williams, but he made a gross error in the video when he said the teleprinter operators used to pee out of the window. There was in fact a tape room operator who ONCE peed out of the window into Portland Place one Sunday morning and hit a lady going to church.
If the teleprinter operators had ever done it - they would have peed on BBC employees in the Duchess Street car park!!
PS the tape room attendant involved - unlike most of them - moved on to higher things and became a BBC security officer......I suopose that figures when old newsroom hands will remember I became the Newsroom fire officer!!

IP Logged

John_Williams
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 28th, 2002, 5:01pm

Gross error? Moi?  Angry

Alas, there are more things in heaven and earth that are dreamt of by my erstwhile colleague and and possibly erstwhile friend.

I can only think, kindly, as is my wont, that he was possessed by matters on the third floor to such a degree that those on the second were without his ken.  

IP Logged

John_Williams
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2002, 5:04pm

....and another thing....the original tape room did overlook Portland Place - some may remember the plastic tube down which we stuffed messages for the regions; this was next to the Radio 3 desk on the west side.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print