Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Memories of BH wanted (Read 2770 times)
Reithian
Ex Member

Memories of BH wanted
Apr 16th, 2002, 3:49pm

Broadcasting House will be 70 years old in just two weeks time, on May 1st.

Jenny Abramsky has asked if members of this forum can help.  This is her message:

Dear All,

I am writing to ask for your help to make the 70th birthday of Broadcasting House into a very special celebration.

On May 1st 2002, the grand dame of broadcasting buildings will reach this impressive milestone.  Having survived Hitler’s bombs and been turned into a building site on quite a few occasions, it has always remained the creative nerve centre of the BBC. And the start of W1 redevelopment work next year means that we have a unique opportunity to celebrate the pivotal role that BH has played at the heart of British broadcasting since 1932.

Most of all, it’s an opportunity to celebrate the people who have made the building what it is: producers; tech ops; stars; reception staff; cleaners; studio managers and so on;  the BBC is nothing if not a sum total of all the individuals who have worked for the Corporation down the years. And BH’s 70th birthday is our chance to celebrate their work.

So how can you help?

We’d like to mark the occasion by doing something out of the ordinary and I think it would be marvellous to decorate the reception area and corridors with pictures, letters and memories from people who’ve worked in the building. I know that lots of you must have personal photographs at home and could spread the word amongst former colleagues. If you are willing to loan us your pictures then we can turn the Birthday celebration into something really memorable.

Please send photos to Robin Reynolds Rm 3080 BH and make sure you put your name and address very clearly on the back!  This will ensure that we are able to return the pictures to you afterwards.

Best wishes

Jenny

« Last Edit: Apr 18th, 2002, 9:41am by Administrator »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print