Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The London Twin-Wave Broadcasting Station (Read 4183 times)
David_Brewer
Ex Member





The London Twin-Wave Broadcasting Station
Mar 1st, 2002, 5:22pm
 
...Anyone remember this logo?  Well our local history society (North Mymms) has been given permission to reproduce online a 'descriptive souvenir' written in 1930 about the Brookmans Park Transmitting Station and this is the logo on the booklet.  

The booklet might be of particular interest to those involved in engineering because it goes into detail about the transmission room and studio, the generators, the battery room, the aerial system and wavelengths.

It also includes drawings of equipment as it was in 1930 and is now on the Brookmans Park Newsletter. Click Here

There is another book on the same site, written by local historian and author Lilian Caras, charting the history of Brookmans Park Transmitting Station. Click Here
Back to top
« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2002, 2:01pm by N/A »  
 
IP Logged
 
David_Brewer
Ex Member





Re: The London Twin-Wave Broadcasting Station
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2002, 8:53pm
 
On the north-east side of the Brookmans Park Transmitting Station, hidden deep in the hedgerow, is a fine example of a spigot mortar emplacement. This is where soldiers, possibly Local Defence Volunteers (later known as the Home Guard), would attach their guns and patrol. Nothing special about the find other than it is not mentioned in any of the records in the Defence of Britain survey, compiled for the Council for British Archaeology. The survey mentions one spigot mortar emplacement to the south of the Transmitting Station, but missed this one.
...
Clearly the Brookmans Park Transmitting Station was worth defending during the war years as author Lilian Caras makes clear in her history of the transmitting station.
"When France was invaded in June 1940, there was a need to increase the power of the existing European Service and to overcome jamming from Europe. Consequently, a powerful 140 kilowatt transmitter was installed at Brookmans Park in an extension to the original building, which came into service on 2 March 1941. The station was of strategic importance to the war effort. To reflect this, the building was painted in camouflage paint and the windows bricked up or had metal shutters placed over them. Soldiers were camped in the driveway to guard the station. Although the original targets are unknown unexploded bombs fell in Georges Wood Road and Moffats Lane, Brookmans Park in November 1940, missing the nearby transmitting station."
Back to top
« Last Edit: Dec 20th, 2002, 8:03am by N/A »  
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print