Welcome, Guest. Please Login
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  To join this Forum send an email with this exact subject line REQUEST MEMBERSHIP to bbcstaff@gmx.com telling us your connection with the BBC.
  HomeHelpSearchLogin  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shirley Ward (Read 8170 times)
Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Shirley Ward
Feb 10th, 2002, 1:22am

This obituary of Shirley Ward appeared in Ariel in January:

"Death of GNS stalwart

"Shirley Ward, who had a pivotal role in the development of BBC local radio news, died on Friday December 14th after a two year fight against cancer. She was 65.

"Shirley worked at BBC Radio News for almost 24 years, including a spell as news organiser. At the end of her career, she was chief sub on the Local Radio news desk. In the early 1980's, BBC local radio was being out gunned by IRN's hourly audio feed to the commercial stations.

"Shirley fought for a similar operation, which she successfully introduced in April 82 - a system which has persisted to this day. The news output on the first day included Lord Carrington's resignation and the arrival of the Falklands governor in London. Shirley was fond of creating abbreviations for different kinds of output - audio clips were "FSB's" (40 second bursts).

"She was ahead of her time in speaking of the radio stations as 'our customers'. After leaving the BBC in 1988, she moved to be nearer her family in Devon. There she campaigned for the protection of the wrecks of sunken war ships - her father had died at sea in World War Two. She also worked as a reporter for the Mid Devon advertiser, based in Newton Abbott.

"She is survived by two daughters and three grandchildren."

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2002, 8:25pm by Administrator »  

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Administrator
YaBB Administrator

Re: Shirley Ward
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2002, 2:00am

Lord Clifford gave what he described as a "brief homily" at Shirley's funeral, about her campaigning work for maritime war graves.  This is an extract from his remarks:

"Although I am not by blood a member of Shirely's family, her determination, enthusiasm, and refusal to accept defeatism on the issue of the maritime war graves formed a coterie, a family or bond among many like spirits throughout this country as well as across the world.

"I mention the global nature of her influence for obvious reasons.  Shirely's father was killed on active duty aboard HMS Repulse, off Singapore, on 10 December 1941.  Twice in recent months, Shirley has tackled, on the spot and at her own expense, our Defence Attache at the Singapore HIgh Commission, tackled him on the subject of marauding divers "interfering with her father's grave for commercial benefit".......

"Shirley made use of her journalistic talents and contacts to broadcast the unforgivable desecration of Maritime War Cemeteries to the extent that the last Teignbridge Member of Parliament was granted an Early Day Motion to question the Government Minister on the uselessness of the 1986 Protection of Military Remains Act.

"Such pressure resulted in a "Consultation Paper" being produced, comments being presented by all interested parties, and a Ministerial Report being produced in November 2001; a report which achieved at least some of the goals Shirley hoped to achieve.  The best of which was the designation as "Protected Ships" both of her father's cemetery, HMS Repulse, and her sister ship, HMS Princess of Wales.

"My Great Grandfather, Jackie Fisher, First Sea Lord and father of those great battleships, "The Dreadnoughts" would have been proud of the spirit shown by Shirley, indeed grateful, and I believe all of us here today would share that opinion."

The Administrator.

IP Logged

Alan_Ashton
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2002, 4:29pm

After protests by myself, Bob Eggington and Doris Hatwell (former GNS teleprinter operator), Peter Gearing the editor of Prospero has agreed to carry an obituary of Shirley in the next issue.
That is the good news - now the bad. I have written it. Alan Ashton/ Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2002, 8:27pm by Administrator »  

IP Logged

RSx
YaBB Newbies

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2014, 5:25pm

Does anyone have the text of the Prospero piece, for posterity's sake?
T.B.

Quote:
After protests by myself, Bob Eggington and Doris Hatwell (former GNS teleprinter operator), Peter Gearing the editor of Prospero has agreed to carry an obituary of Shirley in the next issue.
That is the good news - now the bad. I have written it. Alan Ashton/ Wink

Trevor Butler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print